Laurel Audi Westmont vent...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laurel Audi Westmont vent...

Hello all. Haven't written in a while. Have been accumulating flashing dashboard lights until I had enough money to get some fixed... Some complaints about my recent service with Laurel Audi...
1) the first diagnostic hour, at > $120/h does NOT go towards the repair...WTF? I have never heard of this. I was initially happy with the free rental, but I think it's just to get people in the door for that first $120. I have had many previous experiences with MI Audi dealers and MI/IL Honda dealers, and have never heard of this. Also, $120/h??? These aren't Porsche's!
2) Was billed for an oil change that I asked for, but no new service interval sticker and fluids not topped off...Did they do the work? We'll never know.
3) Joker porters hauling a$$ in customer's Audi's while moving them in the back lot. Not professional and not safe. Luckily I have a slow car, so I wasn't too worried. Any of you guy's with modified rides, however, imagine the famous Ferris Bueler (sp?) scene with the Ferrari and valet drivers...

To their defense, Jim Finch is a stand up guy. I don't know if it's a service dept issue or what, but he's been alright to work with and finished the work earlier than I expected. Also, they did arrange a loaner. HOWEVER, this will be my last service at Laurel Audi and just may have pushed me out of the German rat race for good...Lexus, here I come...
Old 04-20-2005, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't you think you should talk to your SA versus posting on a website forum?

You may get a response and possibly some answers (or actions).

Just a thought.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looks like they did what you wanted...but perhaps it would have been a good idea to...

check their labor rates before dropping the car off.

Sounds to me like your car is fixed, it's just that you experienced some sticker shock.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:32 AM

Default not that high of a rate. We are at $98 an hour, rate

is different depending on repairs. major mechanical work is at $98, maint is at a lower rate $65 to $70 an hour. the tech doesnt get payed $120 an hour, he probably makes $23-$28 an hour, the rest is towards costs to run the shop, pay salaries, supplies, etc, etc. $120 an hour is about average for shops in this area, especially a higher line car company. you didnt buy a chevy.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Hate to tell you this...

But it's right in line. Take a look around next time you are there. All those people's salaries have to get paid. The building is not cheap to keep up, equipment isn't cheap, and neither am I. Tie rods and oil changes aren't rocket science, no, but don't forget the rest of the goodies we need to be fluent with. Networks within the cars, fiber optics, various computer systems controling everything from the windows the the e-brake. If you want to drive a high end car, you need to be prepared to pay the high end price. (I'm not saying you Paul, I'm saying in general.) I don't think anyone here bought one of these cars for the simplicity in design, cheap parts, and ease of being able to work on it. If you want to have the joy of owning a German car, be prepared to pay the German car price.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Like I said, if I could run a shop at $120/HR billing, I would do it

I understand all the costs.....but if you can sell labor for $120/hr, especially when you are paying the tech no more than $30/HR.....there's a very good chance you can make a lot of money.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Agreed

I agree, and as I mentioned, Laurel is my FAVORITE dealership, including Ed, Jim, the parts dept (I spend something like 5-10K/year there) and the sales dept.

I guess when you do electric motor repair that requires a very skilled laboror (but the customer never comes to the shop or very rarely).....it twists me to see that it's $120.99/HR. And that was a $21/HR increase over their old labor rate as I recall. That's a 25% increase.

But that's the cost of doing business, and I occassionally bring my car there for repair.

But I would much rather have Russ do it to me!
Old 04-20-2005, 05:18 AM

Default It's not as lucrative as you think.

Out of $120/hour they need to pay me, the service advisor, the service manager, the cashier, the porters, the warranty administrator, the booker, the dispatcher, and the list goes on. Is the labor rate higher than an independant? Sure, but the over head is a hell of alot higer. I've been on both sides of the fence and have seen it first hand. The cost to run a place like a dealer is much higer.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And it is a business - not a "Not for profit organization"

You can vote your dollars by taking your business elsewhere, but there are few shops that will offer the quality of service. Also, access to current service updates and recalls are all built in to their system.
A dealer has the most up to date training, tools and equipment required to service these cars. Also, with a dealer, you are pretty much assured of OEM quality parts, not some bogus imitation components made in a third-world sweat shop with unknown quality control.
You bought a quality car and paid quite a bit of dough for it - don't you think that it's logical to have to pay a bit more for quality service?
Go and educate yourself and see how much the labor rate is at other dealerships and also at private shops - you will find that there's not that much of a spread.

In the end, you usually get what you pay for.
If you can do the work yourself, great go ahead and do it. If not, you have a choice that shouldn't be dictated by a few dollars.

Quick Reply: Laurel Audi Westmont vent...