No tin hat worn ...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No tin hat worn ...

A review of the Internet comments on Audi's decision to exclusively sponsor network coverage of yesterday's Inauguration and to launch its Progress is Beautiful ad campaign is, on average, less than favorable. Building on my comments yesterday, a successful ad campaign should be similar to that of the Hippocratic Oath: Do no harm. At the very worse, an ad campaign should stimulate a neutral response and not alienate potential buyers.

Politics, as we are all aware, is a very personal and sensitive issue for most Americans. Moreover, Americans hold the very rituals of our Democracy sacred and want them free from tampering, perceived or otherwise.

From the Examiner:

"Susan: I don't care if you're a Democrat or a Republican, this is Capitalism at it's worst selling out the US Presidential Inauguration to a non-US company. Who is the sell-out? I want to know who made the decision to allow this to happen!
January 19, 1:05 PM
Samantha: Add Pepsi/Frito-Lay, Ikea and Saturn Auto to your boycott list.
January 18, 9:33 PM
Tom Carter: Breathtakingly stupid of Audi to do this. I just love our President-elect, but I despise his political views and loathe his comrades, so now I have to put Porshe/Audi/Volkswagen in the same category. I just love them, but I won't buy from them again. And my friends won't either if I can possibly influence them.
January 17, 5:34 PM"

From the NBC Blog:

"I was watching NBC News this morning & they cut to an ad for the Inauguration. I am disgusted that NBC chose Audi as their Sponsor for the Inauguration. Are you kidding me? Are you totally insensitive (or out of touch) to what is going on in America right now?"

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?s=a3c86de9fbe33563e6cac61f3678624a&s howtopic=813367&pid=3656184&st=0&#entr y3656184

Additional comments can be found at:

The Truth About Cars

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/audi-co-brands-with-obama/

The Free Republic

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2167158/posts

The comments, overall, give rise to unintended consequences for Audi of America.<ul><li><a href="http://www.examiner.com/x-572-Auto-Review-Examiner~y2009m1d17-Audi-buys-out-Inauguration-Day-news-coverage-touches-the-third-rail-of-politics">Audi touches the third rail of politics</a></li></ul>
Old 01-21-2009, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... how much faith/trust/weight do you put on comments posted on the internet for other topics?
Old 01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You're just sooooooo unhappy. BMW's ties to slave labor and the **** system doesn't seem to ...

hold back their sales. People buy a car based not on politics, but rather if it fits their needs (for practicality, style, technology, etc.)and their budget. Otherwise nobody would buy a Mitsubishi Benz or BMW if politics REALLY mattered when it comes time to make the big decision.

You are obviously a very bright guy with in-depth knowledge of the industry and we have agreed on a few things in the past, but this is really getting tiresome. We didn't decide what to advertise where - take it up with AoA if you're not happy. There is a long tradition of many companies congratulating a new President BFD.

You lost - get over it. Perhaps you might spend your time trying to make the world a better place, not one filled with bile and bitterness. Besides - you have the 2012 election to look forward to - so many stellar candidates out there it makes my head spin with giddy anticipation.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default And really -

holding advertisers to the Hippocratc oath? And citing blog entries as a credible "source"? The Free Republic as a source? Seriously.

You're better than that.

In your search for ammo to support your position (which you have every right to, btw) you pretty much came up empty. Using innuendo and language meant to inflame - shame on you John, shame.

You're better than that.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps

this thread should move to the Politics forum...
Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
TGK
AudiWorld Senior Member

"At least Audi isn't using US taxpayer cash to buy the advertising." - Haha
Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In the end, any ad campaign that actually pisses off any segment of the population is not a good

choice.

I wonder how the Bush detractors would have felt had Audi been an Official parter with the Bush inauguration?

I have spoken with countless republicans/conservatives who are upset with Audi.

Where there is smoke, well,........

I will not stop buying Audis over it, but I think it was an inappropriate a tie in as moveon.org would have thought had Audi partnered with a Bush inauguration.

No sense in offending any part of your loyal sales base with advertising.

Mike S
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would not say "nobody buys cars because of politics". I know plenty of Jews who will not buy

German cars due to history/politics.

Many Americans buy American carso ut of support of our country, not because they are the best.

Politics effect many purchases, large or small.

Our product sales were down world wide under Bush.

French wine sales fell heavily after 9/11 in the US.

I know many firms that stopped buying/leasing German cars under Schroeder.

Many people won't buy cars from certain countries. Ask a bunch of WWII vets if they would buy a German or Japanese car over an American, all things equal?

Just pointing out some examples.

Mike S
Old 01-21-2009, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update: Re-opening under new management... sorta.... I think.

.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/feedback/msgs/43132.phtml">See.</a></li></ul>
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think this is a "fact" or "right vs wrong" situation. The issue is: Why offend part of your

customer base with an advertisement?

I don't think one needs to put faith or trust in what they read about this or agree with it. The fact that people, including us, are writing about the Audi/inauguration link says there are people upset about it.

Mike S

Quick Reply: No tin hat worn ...