PSA for those living in the city... watch out for speed traps!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSA for those living in the city... watch out for speed traps!

And watch out for those crazy Saturn drivers.

Top team, lasers to aid traffic cops 1,800 tickets written since police started testing new programs

By Josh Noel
Tribune staff reporter

October 11, 2006

Speeders and those who favor rolling through stop signs had best beware: Chicago police are looking for you like never before.

The department announced two new tools Tuesday to catch traffic lawbreakers: a batch of high-tech, hand-held laser guns to catch speeders and a team of officers dedicated to traffic enforcement.

Enforcing speed limits in the city had previously amounted to a handful of vehicle-mounted radar guns. Police say there are close to a dozen such radar guns, but an alderman who leads the City Council's Transportation Committee said the number was far smaller.

More than 1,800 tickets have been written since police started testing the new programs in a few areas in early September. Deputy Supt. Charles Williams said the effort has nothing to do with generating revenue.

"If individuals out on our streets don't want us picking up revenue, it's very simple: Obey traffic laws," Williams said. "This is an effort on our part to make our streets safer."

The effort should have come sooner, said Ald. Tom Allen (38th), chairman of the Transportation and Public Way Committee.

"It's a step in the right direction since before this we had three to five radar-equipped vehicles in the whole city of Chicago," Allen said. "We have to reprogram the thinking of the Police Department to place a priority on this. It's a violation of the law. When you just let it pass, it escalates."

Allen has been calling for increased traffic enforcement from police for more than three years. The additional officers and laser guns further the effort to catch traffic offenders and could lead to arrests for gun or drug possession, he said.

"There isn't a neighborhood in the city that isn't at risk based on the driving behavior of citizens, coupled with the lack of any meaningful response from law enforcement. It's not because [police] didn't care; it's because they haven't had any tools."

Suddenly among their tools are LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) guns, which use lasers to track passing cars, giving officers far more effective and accurate speed readings than radar, police said. The department has bought about 15 of the guns and plans to buy another 50, said Cmdr. Neal Sullivan of the Traffic Division.

Illinois State Police have used the guns to enforce speed limits for more than 10 years.

Chicago police plan to train officers from each shift and each district on the laser guns, meaning at a given time, at least one could be in use in each of the city's 25 police districts. In a pilot program at a Northwest Side district that began in early September, close to 500 speeding tickets were written, police said.

"We're taking a look at better technology and better ways to use that technology. We're constantly evolving," Williams said. "I'd love nothing more than to see all of them out there by New Year's Eve."

In addition to every district's having a laser gun, members of the newly formed Targeted Traffic Team will also get them. Also known as T3, the unit will be deployed wherever traffic enforcement is needed based on citizen complaints, accident data and observations from police commanders.

Formed Sept. 22, the unit of 25 officers and three sergeants has already written more than 1,300 tickets, police said.

While police were trying out their laser guns near the intersection of Irving Park and Cumberland Roads, residents begged them to stay, and tried enticing them with food.

"They were just happy we were there," said Sgt. Greg Reynolds of the Targeted Traffic Team. "People want us doing things like this."

Indeed, John Mauk, 49, a trader climbing into his silver Audi, said he rarely speeds and hopes those around him will be forced to slow down.

"It's a great idea," he said. "I see people doing 45 or 50 all the time in a 30 on my way home. Now they need to crack down more on people talking on their cell phones while driving."

Kisha Wade, 26, a nurse who drives a maroon Saturn, said she doubts the new enforcement will slow her down.

"If I'm in a hurry, I speed, and I'm usually in a hurry because I'm usually so late to leave," she said. "I've had a couple speeding tickets, and I still speed."

Then again, she was nailed by a camera that caught her turning left on a red light.

"I'm careful there because I got caught," she said. "So maybe I will be on the lookout more."

----------

jbnoel@tribune.com

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default seen lots of traffic enforcement in my hood.

there was a cruiser parked by my old place every weekend and it was funny listening to him on the intercom saying "hey you! don't even think about it!" to people about to roll through the stop sign

what they really need is a cellphone task force.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Default ugh... i just hope they don't do this on 90/94 and 290.

i'm okay with wanting people to go slow through neighborhoods, since half the roads are super narrow and lined with parked cars... i'm okay with it as long as they don't start ticketing on 290 and the kennedy.

i got pulled over by some chick cop recently a block from my house for driving down the middle of an empty road (no cars coming in the other direction), which was lined with parked cars on both sides. i tried to explain to her how it was safer to drive down the middle, so i have more of a chance to react to people who walk out from inbetween cars, or open their car doors... she gave me all sorts of attitude about it. ended up getting off with a verbal warning, but this better not result in more crap of this sort.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:54 AM
AS4

all of the stations will have lazar radar guns soon
Old 10-11-2006, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've never thought about it, but I don't recall seeing any speed limit signs in the city. hmm.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:44 PM

Default statutory speed limit of 30mph on streets, 15mph in alleys, unless otherwise posted

Isn't that sneaky? Chicago Municipal Code 9-12-070.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Former Vendor

lol
Old 10-12-2006, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That would seem to leave the door fairly wide open.