thanks scott for trying to fix mary's computer.......but the darn thing is....

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 PM
Fear the Miata!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks scott for trying to fix mary's computer.......but the darn thing is....

d e a d........now i gotta buy here a new one...8^)
Old 08-01-2006, 08:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

www.applestore.com/switch : )
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

no joke!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:32 AM
Fear the Miata!

www.noappleforme.com
Old 08-02-2006, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Janica picked up a 20" iMac. All I can say is, wow. It's impractical in my world but

if you are a stay at home mom, into design graphics, photography, education, etc... it is a phenomenal piece of machinery. Don't know how well it would translate to the business world when your corporation is nothing but Windows based PC's, but it is otherwise nothing short of fabulous.

One wire coming out of the back of the computer. One. Amazing. She has it sitting next to her Dell computer and aside from having to use the Dell for work, it collects dust. Honestly, it's like a piece of art.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get her parallels and an OEM copy of XP and dump the extra machine.

I have this working 100% on a network with all my database apps. Since the Intel iMac has a video card it will run both OS' just fine.

TJR stickers look good.<ul><li><a href="http://parallels.com/en/products/desktop/">Parallels</a></li></ul>
Old 08-02-2006, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is Parallels better than Boot Camp?
Old 08-02-2006, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Boot Camp is better if you need 100% video attention for 3D apps and games.

I have both Parallels and boot camp on a 17" MBP. I haven't needed to use my boot camp setup since installing Parallels. I just have it as a back up. However with 2 installs of Windows XP, it is a bit of a pain for the second install. You need to call Microsoft to get it activated again and tell them it is for the same piece of hardware. Other than that it's cake.

great sig pic by the way.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

www.keephavingproblems.com : )
Old 08-02-2006, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default people always say that... but as an IT manager in an PC enviroment... I don't see it...

90% of the work done in my office is on the following:

MS Office
Quickbooks
Quicken

all of which have Mac versions. While I can't attest to the feature sets between the win and mac versions of quickbooks, I know that quicken and office are near identical in features.

I will admit we do have a few lingering PC only apps that we use, but those are primarily old accounting packages that are for projects 4-10 years old that A) run in DOS, and B) we use probably once/month to look something up for taxes or whatever.

Overall, we could switch to macs, but then, I would be out of a job. Without the need for constant attention to virus protection, windows updates, not to mention fewer hardware failures, etc, I would have a decent amount less to do.

Overall, I think that most companies could switch to macs and have virtually no problems. And now that parallels is out and runs quite well, if you ran all intel CPUs, you would be hard pressed to have a specialized app that you couldn't make work on your mac setup.

Quick Reply: thanks scott for trying to fix mary's computer.......but the darn thing is....