What would it take to start a trk day organization? I was thinking of starting one for all of the mi

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would it take to start a trk day organization? I was thinking of starting one for all of the mi

dwest area tracks... That way it would pay for my habit...
Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default For starters...

You need to provide proof of insurance to rent a venue. Different tracks have different requirements, but liability coverage in the 7-figure range is typical. If you don't offer any sort of instruction (BTW - you'll need instructors), insurance may be more costly.

You need a deposit for the venue and you have to pay for track rental, EMT's, corner workers, etc. Figure 8-10 grand a day for a weekend date - if you can get one. You have to pay regardless if you have enough people show up to cover the tab or not. Week days are cheaper and tracks in Michigan are cheaper still.

Then you would be competing with other organizations for the "best dates" of the season. Generally tracks don't have many open dates and they let their longest and best customers choose first. For example, Blackhawk Farms had zero open weekends for the summer - months before the season began.

Not to disuade you, but you could either lose a lot of money, break even or make a meager return on your dough. Here the ACCCC has lost money on events and we've made a little money on other events, but the net at the end of the year is pretty much always break-even. The odds of losing money is greater with crappy dates. There are lot's of opportunities out there and you would have to offer a better experience or a cheaper experience to get the "customers".

Happy to help with more info, but that's a quick overview.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM

okay, scratch that idea!! Im fresh out of orginizational skills! lol
Old 07-03-2008, 08:25 AM

Default Gingerman is the only 'rent for cheap' track around I know of (private track days commonplace there)

last year a group of 20 people got together to rent it and it was like $350 for the day IIRC

BUT we had NO EMT, only corner workers.. NO tow truck.. just minimum crew... but it worked for our small group...
Old 07-03-2008, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yeah, I have done those too, but it is only gman that I know of that is that affordable...