Yet Another Chicago Audi Dealership Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Another Chicago Audi Dealership Thread

I'm considering purchasing a 2004 A6 2.7T and have a few questions about Chicago area Audi dealers.

The Audi Exchange in Highland Park and McGrath Audi are relatively convenient for me. I've spent a modest amount of time at each dealer and the sales people were pleasant and helpful in each instance.

Of course, once I acquire the car, it's the service department that matters the most. Prior threads in this group suggest that McGrath's service department leaves a lot to be desired and that the department at the Audi Exchange is superior. Do you think that that assessment is still fair?

If I cut a better deal at McGrath, will they treat me like a second class citizen at the Exchange if I try to get warranty service done there?

Are there other factors that I should take into consideration?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-- Rich
Old 12-31-2003, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default AFAIK, the Exchange > McGrath

in terms of post-sale service. Laurel is the best though; so at least youll know you will have a dealer to fall back on if both of the above mentioned dealers try to screw you over.
Old 12-31-2003, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: AFAIK, the Exchange > McGrath

I know that Laurel has a better reputation than the other local dealers. I live only a few miles from McGrath and Exchange and approximately 30 miles from Laurel.

Thanks,

-- Rich
Old 12-31-2003, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I drive past both McGrath and Exchange to go to Laurel. here's why....(long)

McGrath: When shopping, they completely ignored me. There were 3 salespeople in the showroom, no customers. I walked over to the three of them talking. I had to wait 5 minutes for them to acknowledge me. Then it was, "Do you need something?" After my purchase, I popped in for a sanity check on my CEL light (1 month after purchase, still in my ultra noob phase). I was driving right by the dealership when the CEL went off. They told me to come back in 2 days and they could scan it then. I called Laurel. Over the phone they asked a few questions, blah, blah, blah. They guessed the gas cap. If still there after 2-3 more starts, call them. It was the gas cap. Laurel figured it out over the phone, McGrath never left their desk to even look at my car. Never asked any questions whatsoever.

The Exchange: For service (twice), they made me feel like I inconvenienced them for taking my car to them. I had a bad brake squeal. Said pads were too thick to replace, live with it (In a more professional manner). The other was an oil change (I had no garage at the time). My biggest peeve: The service tech put the form on the hood of my car and started to fill it out. I asked him not to do that. He was using the hood of my car as a desk. He rolled his eyes, let out a very audible sigh and went to a ledge only 3 feet away. The windshield or sunroof would have been fine, but the painted hood with a ball point pen? I guess I am overly **** about that.

Sorry for the vent, but both those guys still torque me off.

I used to live in Evanston, now I live near Great America. I drive well over an hour just to get to Laurel. They are worth it to me. Besides, driving my car is never a bad experience.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the exchange WILL treat you better if you bought there...

I have found the exchange service dept to be fine... I have also found that EVERY service department is likely gonna **** you off at some point or another... such it is

and the regional rep makes most of the warranty decisions that are LARGE, and that rep (scott IIRC) controls all the local dealers...

I would say laurel or exchange...
Old 12-31-2003, 06:39 AM
Rest In Peace

My family takes our Audis to Laurel of Tinley. Overall, very satisfied.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default McGrath - good experiences

I purchased from McGrath and was treated great during the sales process. I have been very satisfied with the service as well.

Two weeks ago, I realized that I was overdue for my 10,000 mile service. I called at 4:30pm to see if there was anyway I could bring it in that night. I was out in Woodstock for work, still needed to drop my boss at O'Hare and had no idea when I'd make it there. They told me "no problem, come on by". I made good time, got there by 6 and was out by 6:45. The 45 minutes I was there I spent BS'ing with my salesperson, Harold Grant about the RS6 they had on the showroom floor and the new S4. He told me to stop by when the weather is nice and take out a new S4.

Now that Acura has moved out, they hired some new (and much better) service advisors. Don Aguirre helped me two weeks ago. He's been there for a couple months and was amazingly helpful. They are begining construction on the new Audi facility soon and it should be done by spring.

You should try the dealers out yourself and decide which one YOU like best. I love McGrath, but others here seem to have a different opinion. I guess if I only paid attention to other's past experiences, I wouldn't be driving an Audi based on a few people in the 1980's driving Audi 5000's through their garage doors.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Word...

I bought mine there about a year ago and have been taken care of quite well. I beat the crap out of my car, bent up a bunch of suspension stuff and they fixed it because I complained about a "noisy front".

(new tie rods, 4-wheel alignment etc...). All $0.

JMHO.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:08 AM

yep..they treated me alot better once I bought a car from them..
Old 12-31-2003, 09:41 AM

Default the exchange. tell Dan Meegan (finance)

that matt from AFS said to go there.

Quick Reply: Yet Another Chicago Audi Dealership Thread