Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

display mode options (linear, threaded, etc) doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What makes it best?

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
It can - it can't handle it in a threaded view format.Not disagreeing with you there at all.

We certainly didn't upgrade the site because we had intentions to **** off some people.
It was upgraded because kawf hasn't been updated in 10years, and vbulletin is far and away the best forum software out there (I believe its utilized by about 70% of all forums in existence off the top of my head)
Maybe what makes it the best software out there is that it can't handle the traffic in a threaded view, or that it makes people unhappy. Perhaps it's because of limitations that are built in, so have no choice but to view long lines of comments and sigs.

What happens in this "list view" of posts is that new posts skip to the end of the thread, regardless of where you post the reply. Therefore, in longer threads, unless you read every post (and paragraphs full of sigs), you miss the real thread content. That's why vB ends up discouraging "community", rather than encouraging it.

Did you ever think that kawf wasn't upgraded for ten years because it just worked the way it was? I do believe in change. But I don't believe we should change something just for the sake of changing. That's what you did here. Okay, so kawf didn't upgrade in ten years. Was it broken?

I'm sure this was a big investment of time and money. Did you poll your users to find their perspective on this? Best thing you can do in any change initiative is to start with the users, understand their wants and needs, and build from there. You can't push something down their throat and expect them to react positively.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manualAvant
To be fair, they didn't know that retooling vB to have a threaded implementation would work.
So, then, what you are saying is that they didn't research the product well enough to know if it would work or not? Fair enough.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNSteve
So, then, what you are saying is that they didn't research the product well enough to know if it would work or not? Fair enough.
vB DOES work with threads. I believe they couldn't make it work with the threaded content already in the AW database. That's why the linear view is the only view available. Unfortunately, the threading is what most AW members loved the most about our "ancient" format.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by antiSUV
vB DOES work with threads. I believe they couldn't make it work with the threaded content already in the AW database. That's why the linear view is the only view available. Unfortunately, the threading is what most AW members loved the most about our "ancient" format.
No, it works with threads with only a handful of users. Throw any real volume at it and it pukes. In other words, it DOESN'T work with threads.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
As I am sure you may be aware, last June we attempted to convert the site to vbulletin in a "conversational" (or "threaded") format.
We had spent close to 4months with 3 developers attempting to get this right.
Unfortunately, (as I am sure you are also aware), this did not work.
We then spent the ensuing 8 months trying to get the threaded view format to work, which we discovered on a forum the size of AudiWorld is simply not possible with vBulletin.

What, exactly, were the technical issues you ran into?

I really want to know, and I think it'd please some of the other technical people here on the boards as well.

I sincerely hope the issue in the conversion of content from kawf -> vBulletin rather than a system scalability issue?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaun
No, it works with threads with only a handful of users. Throw any real volume at it and it pukes. In other words, it DOESN'T work with threads.
That's why the member count at quattroworld is growing.

Much like many guys here, Audiworld isn't the only forum I participate in, but it was the one that I spent the most time on. The threading works to facilitate the communication and the sense of community, so losing that makes you lose what made Audiworld special.

I hope it changes for the better, but the way it's going, I'll probably be more of a lurker, than an active poster. Thanks to JET, Kris, April, Shaun, and all of the guys who made A4.org into the vibrant community we used to know.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It took me 30 mins to read this damn thread. something that would have taken maybe 5 mins maximum on old AW, real AW. linear format blows. vB blows. IB blows.

You guys took something that was already great and attempted to make it "better" and failed so hard.

Have fun with the decrease in traffic from true AW members and the increase of "homies" from Audizine and vwvortex.

Last edited by quattro89; 03-17-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by antiSUV
That's why the member count at quattroworld is growing.
Thank God for the people that are making that site possible
Old 03-17-2009, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by quattro89
It took me 30 mins to read this damn thread. something that would have taken maybe 5 mins maximum on old AW, real AW. linear format blows. vB blows. IB blows
This is my biggest problem with VB. The threads take forever to read, and linked information and discussions can be very difficult to find within a thread.

Sure, vB has advantages like PM and stickied/active threads at the top, but those advantages don't have to be exclusive to vB. And they don't diminish that clear advantages of KAWF.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:44 AM

does anyone have contact information for someone "technical" at IB?

I very seriously want to know why they couldn't get threaded views working, and what the issues were that they faced.

I administer several very large vBulletin installations (The entire LAMP stack, servers, software, tuning, etc) and I cannot imagine that giving vBulletin a call and saying "hey, we're having trouble with this" wouldn't warrant a fix from them - even if it cost $$$, just spend some of that fake "ad revenue" on it.

I also want to know why those retards still decided this was an "upgrade", given that the FIRST time they tried this dumbass migration, the community made it very clear that threaded views was a PRIORITY

Quick Reply: display mode options (linear, threaded, etc) doesn't work...