Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

display mode options (linear, threaded, etc) doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Forgive me (and I may regret asking this ), how do you find it so?
This is what I posted a a few posts back:

No No No....You STILL don't get it. The overwhelming majority of AWers are not her to "use the software" so to speak. We're not interested in "what the software can do". We just want a friendly, personable forum where we can feel connected. You're missing out on what made the former AW great. It wasn't about "features" and "programmability". It was about the people. KAWF made it easy for people to connect intimately and almost in real time, on the internet. That's a rare feat in this world of impersonal and sterile (and same) web forums.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you even reading any of the posts here? <knock on skull>
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think my opinions stray from the mainstream, but I admit I find it rather surprising that vB, the bestest software on the intertube, can't handle a threaded view for a large forum such as this.

Obviously IB isn't interested in investing the resources to add new or improved functionality. They tried with what they were willing to commit, and they failed. I can't say I should expect much more from them.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:37 PM

So you're saying you 'upgraded' the software to something that couldn't handle what the old site could? huh?

Hey Bob - you are right, it doesn't, we will edit the faq to clarify this, thanks for bringing it up.
Threaded and Hybrid are disabled as the site is unable to sustain either format (with its size) in vbulletin.

Exactly. Every other forum out there is the same, yet people continued to come to AW. why? it wasn't because they were 'limited' with the software, it was because the community was among the best.

Originally Posted by TheLex
It may be the best forum software out there but IMO AW has now lost much of its "sense of community", and that was what made this forum THE BEST. This new format is slow, has less desirable features, and is cold and sterile. I still believe in the community, but it's not the same. Sad day.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Majorly sucks...
What a terrible switchover, a community which I have been a part of for 10 years has been destroyed...

Do the right thing and switch back...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by RKA
I thought the original intention communicated by JET was to retain some of that threaded functionality that was so important to AW users. Regardless, I can understand how it was technically impossible to implement in vB given the constraints, but your last comment just has my head spinning. It might be 80% better than kawf in the areas that don't count, but kawf was 100% better in usability (yeah, that counts)! If IB doesn't see this, bookmark this post and give it to someone when they wonder why traffic and ad revenue dropped.
Totally agree here. There is a reason why craigslist.org is so successful. The incredibly easy to use interface, the speed, and its ties to the community. The new format has none of those, where the kawf format has matched all that.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S4iowa
This is what happens when you let engineers decide on how things work with out taking in to account user interaction. The self moderation tools and functions of VB I'm sure are great, and make the administrators happy because they don't have to manage it as much. But it ruined the conversational communication and flow that is more like real life communication. Look at gmail, a conversational email system. How cool is that!

This is a huge step backwards. Just for the ease of backend management. You'll lose significant users and traffic from this change. Your loss in the end IB.
Agree completely. CONVERSATIONAL COMMUNICATION. The format is why I am/was here. I blow time on RS6.com but rarely...guess what format it is. I liked to be able to see full posts (as the title rarely helps make anyone want to read the post)...and in particular in the chicago forum the instant communication...that was easy to see. This will certainly cut down on my use as it is not as easy to see the things i like to see. You did kill the soul of the site. I don't need to get used to it, i use it elsewhere and i don't like it. PS...I'm pissed I'm just a 'member' wtf. I have to be babbling on AWOT to get status by millions of posts or something.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jayel
Totally agree here. There is a reason why craigslist.org is so successful. The incredibly easy to use interface, the speed, and its ties to the community. The new format has none of those, where the kawf format has matched all that.
It drives me insane how much screen real estate is wasted with this format. One reason I like craigslist is its similar, communal format where one can quickly find information without scrolling and clicking constantly.

I wish there was a way to get rid of all the useless information on screen to just view user name and post.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 PM

I really wasn't to worried about this switch until I realized threaded mode won't work. Linear is terrible. I really want to like this, but after 9 years on AW I'm not sure I can take this....to hard to read and follow. If VB is so great and Kawf is an old pile of crap why can't VB handle threaded mode? Take some of those IB big bucks and fix it.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM

It can - it can't handle it in a threaded view format.Not disagreeing with you there at all.

We certainly didn't upgrade the site because we had intentions to **** off some people.
It was upgraded because kawf hasn't been updated in 10years, and vbulletin is far and away the best forum software out there (I believe its utilized by about 70% of all forums in existence off the top of my head)
I'm sorry, this goes beyond "pissing" "some" people off. We were told that there would be a threaded component (conversational) and that we should remain open minded - we held up our end of the bargain. There now exists a vast gulf between what was promised and what was delivered.

It is with the utmost respect that I ask IB Adrian to please explain why this incongruity exists and what his plan is to retain membership / satisfy members.

This is incredibly poor publicity for Internet Brands.

Last edited by YYC_A4; 03-16-2009 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: display mode options (linear, threaded, etc) doesn't work...