Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Do you guys regret ditching kawf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you guys regret ditching kawf?

This place is a ghost town.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I'll defer this to the folks who made the decision..
Old 02-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Internet Brands

Thats a good question, and I think its fair to say we do regret some parts of it.
The site did need to be on updated software, kawf really hasn't had any real updates since 99, and technically provides many limitations - everything from support, security, ability to customize it to provide users a better experience etc.
We are able to provide users with a much improved and more reliable experience with our current software.

That said, we should have spent more time understanding if it was possible for the software we wanted to use to work in threaded mode prior to making a change, we should have also spent more time communicating to our users, allowing them to test "our new site" and give feedback before changing it.
We did loose some great users over the change and that is really disappointing, as it certainly wasn't what we had intended to do.
So to answer your question as honestly as I can, I don't think we regret electing to move Audiworld to a new software to try to improve the site, but what we perhaps do regret is how we went about doing that.

Adrian
Old 02-06-2010, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

good, honest answer deserving of respect. I think some of those who left didn't give the new implementation a chance.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2nd that. I understand the feelings on both sides. I prefer to post and read kawf but find the ability to quickly pull up and browse someones other posts really handy.
The user page is great too but I am not sure that a lot of people use these facilities as much as me.
I miss the views displayed and the quick loading, but I dont miss the virtual consignment of great threads to history. When adding data to the spreadsheet I find that newbies have often made use of older relevant threads as a first port of call.
As far as ghost town I am not so sure. The membership is still growing here faster than any other site. As someone who stores links to useful threads within 2 forums on both sites without prejudice, I have to say the majority are coming from here.
I miss the kawf too, like I miss the simplicity and mechanics of some of my old cars.... but I can still use kawf;-)
Old 02-08-2010, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being a user of both sites and a PW of both, I will say I still like KAWF best. The tendency for newbies to dig up 3 year old posts and comment in the tread and expect the original poster to reply is beyond ridiculous. This does not happen on the other side.

The feeling of community is not the same here..even with some people staying and working the forum. The format just doesn;t lend itself to "conversation". Its mostly post and reply and move on.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

agree with you - I also miss seeing the count of people who have read a post with vB.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Thats a good question, and I think its fair to say we do regret some parts of it.
The site did need to be on updated software, kawf really hasn't had any real updates since 99, and technically provides many limitations - everything from support, security, ability to customize it to provide users a better experience etc.
We are able to provide users with a much improved and more reliable experience with our current software.

That said, we should have spent more time understanding if it was possible for the software we wanted to use to work in threaded mode prior to making a change, we should have also spent more time communicating to our users, allowing them to test "our new site" and give feedback before changing it.
We did loose some great users over the change and that is really disappointing, as it certainly wasn't what we had intended to do.
So to answer your question as honestly as I can, I don't think we regret electing to move Audiworld to a new software to try to improve the site, but what we perhaps do regret is how we went about doing that.

Adrian
no real updates?

you completely changed the format.

where have you been?

what users? no one is here anymore.

no one wanted to test some garbage vb sw.

whatever man. you should tell the real truth.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by IB Adrian

Adrian
What was so unreliable about kawf? What functions are added by vb? PMs? I can't stand the flat nature of vb threads, so I've never been able to visit them on a daily basis. I can't stand having to read so many replies that I'm not interested in, with kawf you can ignore entire sub-threads based off of recognizing that something in the subject line isn't relevant or you don't like reading responses from those users.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm glad you finally had the intestinal fortitude to post that. I wish the change had never happened. We were doing just great, now, trying to follow a post is raising my blood pressure. For the longest time, people many of us on QW valued were unavailable, esp. Kris. Harsh words were said, "jokes" made. (They weren't very funny). This is not what following Audi's should be about. We all share a common interest. I found myself defending AW, the site that I first went to when I purchased my first A6 in 2004, and it was disheartening to see the format change and observe the catfights that resulted.
As they say, hindsight is 20/20.
In an ideal world, I'd like to see both sides shake hands and let it be.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by jbchinoca; 02-11-2010 at 03:24 AM. Reason: vocab

Quick Reply: Do you guys regret ditching kawf?