Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Do you guys regret ditching kawf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

It's not that KAWF is unreliable. IB owns VB. It's used on most of their sites, and all of the "big" sites. They wanted AudiWorld to use that software. Plus, it gives them a much easier time in performing upgrades in the future. KAWF is essentially "dead", no updates, no change. Some of us think that's a good thing, but I'm not in a position to argue with IB, even though they knew my feelings on the matter. I'd highly suggest you switch to Threaded View, it's very good. If you need help, let me know.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:56 AM
Head Cat Herder

I'm still here. If people want my help, they know where to go. I'll help anyone with any problem if I can. I just won't do it on any other Audi site than this one.

I wish the change never happened too, but it did, there's nothing I or anyone can do about it other than make the best of it.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've switched to threaded, and it still doesn't make sense. I've seen (as in today) replies show up in my email, and then when I log in, I just don't know where the hell they are. My email today from you, Kris, said "switch to threaded view." That's nowhere on here that I can find. It's better than other vB sites, but that's not saying a lot.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

My perception is that the change was made not for a better user experience but for a better management experience and better marketability of the site. The attitude was that the stupid sheep who use the site will bitch for a while but adapt.

As Adrian almost said, the implementation was a disaster, which supports my perception. Unfortunate.

The biggest change here I see in the past year is that the site has gone from an exchange of information to a bunch of n00bs asking repetitive question and a small group of hanger-oners answering the questions. Also, the misspelling of the word "brake" seem to be up about 50%

The site is still viable, and perhaps more so commericially, but its impact as a positive resource in the Audi community is severely weakened.

To improve the situation, IB should mandate threadeded view to clean up the current mess where replies are out of order (better since Kris made some changes). The stupid IM feature should be eliminated. I've ignored mine, and it's full, which I'm sure annoys some people. Page loading speed could be improved. This would help particilarly with OT, where things move quickly. The site loads so much slower than the other one that I find myself clicking a link here and moving to other tabs for a few minutes while the page loads.

This "rant" is not intended as an attack, but just feedback on my perception, user experience, and some suggestions.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 AM
Head Cat Herder

The thing to do is click on the link in the email, that takes you right to the post in question. That's what I do.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100%. The AW experience and community has definitely changed. I will admit that I frequent the "other" site more often because of the kawf format, which (to me) is more familiar and "browse-friendly." I do, however, try to come to AW as often as I can to see if there is anything I can chime in on...just not as often as before.

Had the original roll-out of the vB format been a "test" with the threaded view, it probably would have been a bit smoother transition, and may have prevented the mass migration of many of the users.

In the end, AW still contains lots of great content, and I will always consider AW my "home" even though I only swing by every now and then. And yes, "break" seems to appear more often...
Old 02-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
I'm still here.
That's probably why a lot of us "elder members" are still still here too.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

100% correct.

I rarely come back here, because the tech knowledge on my cars went to QW. I need that tech knowledge to keep those cars on the road.

I also liked the posting format of KAWF - it's easier for the *community*, even if it is harder to administer.

I don't plan on coming back to AW much, nor will I contribute tech or other info - my time is spent over on QW.

Adrian, I wish you guys the best of luck with this. I hope everyone over at IB learned something from this episode, and that when the next time comes, you'll be more in tune with the community you're proposing to profit from. Kris - I don't know what to tell you. Since you likely can't help me fix my UrS6 nor my B3 sedan, it's unlikely I can come to you with questions. But I *do* very much appreciate you offering to do so. I wish you the best as well. I'd ask you to visit us, but I doubt your employers would like that much.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm glad to finally see some honesty here. Its time to admit that it was a pretty catastrophic choice. This is the first time I've posted on AW since the switch (well without malicious intent anyway... sorry 'bout that).

Just wanted to say that this should be a "teaching moment" for those who think that the business side of the equation trumps the consumer side. IB can be happy with the results of the transition to VB as administrators but don't you think AW and IB would be better off having left the KAWF format in place and learning how to deal with the technical drawbacks of it? It just seems like the benefit of the few administrators trumped what the majority of the community wanted. I, maybe naively, believe the way to conduct business is to please the largest amount of consumers as possible, not make it easy to run the business.

I'm glad that there is at least a bit of honest discussion going on about this now.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by KNaudiA4
Just wanted to say that this should be a "teaching moment" for those who think that the business side of the equation trumps the consumer side. IB can be happy with the results of the transition to VB as administrators but don't you think AW and IB would be better off having left the KAWF format in place and learning how to deal with the technical drawbacks of it? It just seems like the benefit of the few administrators trumped what the majority of the community wanted. I, maybe naively, believe the way to conduct business is to please the largest amount of consumers as possible, not make it easy to run the business.
I think you are putting words in IB's mouth. The conversion did create a mass exodus, but in the long run the value of the site and traffic might go up...it might already be up. Remember that usability and desirability of the site "as was" appealed to a certain group, but the changes may have brought in a group that is larger and may also draw more advertising revenue.

The change damaged the community that was here, but that may or may not translate to an economic loss. The owners may prosper at the community's expense. I'm not saying that happened, jus sayin that you can't make any assumptions.

Quick Reply: Do you guys regret ditching kawf?