Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

OK... I'm no gender studies bunny (duh!) but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You people are insane! Its an editorial. He can say whatever he wants
Old 06-15-2001, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay... who wants to bet this BHL voted for Gore???
Old 06-15-2001, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I realized that I failed to even address what most bothered me about this.

It wasn't even that sentence - though that was bad enough - but the sentence in combination with the one preceding it:

"And for the first time we realize that we're getting a glimpse into the car's remarkable character. If the S8 was a woman, then she had just pulled her skirt above the knee leaving us wondering what was next."

So the first glimpse into a woman's remarkable character is up her skirt. And you don't find this degrading to women?

Nice touch there calling me a self-proclaimed knight in shining armor. Women of this forum can speak for themselves, even though the general tone of this thread, which is quite hostile to anyone who might disagree with the "women are goodies" cartel, might make them think twice and then just stay silent. (I know of one such example.) I am merely voicing my OWN disdain. As a long-time reader, I would hate to see more of such stylistically clumsy, superfluous, and ultimately offensive metaphors among articles I generally enjoy and appreciate. I don't expect any better from the Pimpin' Posse, but I do from you. So you can consider my points, which I think you have, or you can chalk it all up to S4 envy. ;-)

Gordan
Old 06-15-2001, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well-said & well-handled, Jason. This guy is a total moron/pervert...the fact that his mind...

starts wandering to places never intended by that statement shows you what kind of character we're dealing with here.

Gordo...get back in touch with reality, man. You sound stupid to everyone but yourself.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Founder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It wasn't intended as you took it

Perhaps I should be more sensitive of the possibility of it being read and interpretted the way that you have, but in all honesty it wasn't intended that way. I think I explained where I was coming from and what I was trying to illustrate. And I hope I didn't come across as cocky in shooting down your allegations.

If you know of people who have been offended then please have them e-mail me offline.
Old 06-15-2001, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

grammar? lol
Old 06-15-2001, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default You are absolutely correct

I myself just found the sentence off-base. The content, like all other AW articles was informative and I certainly appreciate the authors' views...that one sentence just seemed very out of place given the rest of the article. Just an awkward analogy I guess. That being said, I'm obviously in the minority, and since only a few heads found it out of place, or offensive I guess that makes it right...right?

Regards,
Raja
Old 06-15-2001, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Truthfully...

Of course I realize that Jason did not intend the implications I listed - he was merely reaching for a readily available and much overused "let's get the boys excited about this" device - feminine sexuality. But I also believe in knowing where a road ultimately leads as I take that turn, so I used my imagination - while, I believe, still remaining within logical boundaries of the original analogy - to extend that analogy to its ultimate conclusion. The progression from inane and out-of-place to hostile and offensive is exactly the kind of change I've witnessed gradually take place in the A4um over the past year or so. More and more off-color remarks about women, more and more flame wars, and generally ever closer in concept to a boys' club where 'girls' are only invited as quarry to fight over and strut your stuff in front of. I will not name names, but I think we can all recall a few examples if we're honest enough with ourselves. But I did not see similar occurrences in other forums, and especially not in featured articles, so I found this an alarming precedent.

I, for one, would regret seeing AudiWorld become the exclusive province of overgrown adolescents with too much money and too little sense to realize that women (including women with whom they share AudiWorld, many of whom could kick their asses at the track or in the shop) are not hood ornaments. As pack-oriented and impressionable as this crowd is, they probably make a good target for marketeers, but at what cost to the quality of the forums as media for knowledge and experience sharing? I realize that there's not a whole lot you can do to a public forum without getting flak for being a **** and whatnot, and moderators (while obviously not perfect) have, in my opinion, contributed more to the forum's quality than they detracted. What you CAN do is make sure that at least your articles and editorials remain on a high level and do not give a foothold to this atavistic mentality. This is the first time I've seen this type of reference in an AudiWorld article, and I hope it remains the only time.

Gordan
Old 06-15-2001, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It actually wasn't taken the way you think. See my reply to Brooklyn.
Old 06-15-2001, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

So it was people like you who came up with that hurricane naming system? Get real.

Quick Reply: OK... I'm no gender studies bunny (duh!) but...