Feedback Need help with a Forums feature, noticed a broken link (or other site problem) or just have a general question - this is the spot

Scam Responses to Classified

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scam Responses to Classified

AudiWorld Members:

Most sellers will ignore these types of messages or should be very skeptical. But, below is an example of a "response" to my classified ad that I placed for my Eibach Pro-Kit. I sold the kit in mid-October. I think I shipped these out on 10/14 and the classfied shows "SOLD" on it. I received this e-mail yesterday from a person with a gmail address. Note how the e-mail does not even reference the item by name and has some rough syntax and grammar:

I'm getting in touch with you regarding your product for sale. I'm purchasing this item upon request. Be aware, there is a serious commitment over this purchase.I went through the ad but will like to confirm it from you. I will like to know your final asking price for this item. Some of its recent pictures (its okay if non is available) and your opinion about the condition of this product.I will be waiting to read from you at your earliest convenience along with your answers to my proposal. Regards.

These are scams and ways for "buyers" to get you to send them a check. They usually offer to send you a check for more that the purchase price and you then are suppossed to return a check for the difference. Their check is fraudulent and yours is not.

I usually reply to these e-mails directing them to pay with PayPal if they are interested and to send me their shipping address. That gets them to stop e-mailing.

cgabb1
Old 11-10-2010, 04:54 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

What user name did you have your ad listed under? I can't find any under your user name..
Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

cgabb1, 10/5/10
Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kris Hansen
What user name did you have your ad listed under? I can't find any under your user name..

I also got one

heres the link to mine.

http://classifieds.audiworld.com/sho...ct/5606/cat/21