Any local place (Orlando) to get a good set of kitchen knives sharpened?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any local place (Orlando) to get a good set of kitchen knives sharpened?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Yep, there's a knife place on 436 next to an Army/Navy store that sharpens good knives.

Knives and More, or something like that. Take Aloma to 436 and hang a right (from UCF). It will be on the left back off the road a little ways. IIRC there's also an outdoor grill shop in the same strip.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Buy a tri-stone from Skycraft and do it yourself.

If they're good knives, a few passes over a sharpening steele is usually all you'll need to get the edge back. In any case, you can buy a Tri-stone at Skycraft for about $25.00 and do it yourself. Most sharpening services grind the edge down and create a new one. This completely eliminates the factory edge which will always be the sharpest edge. Once it's gone, you might as well throw your knives out as you'll be sharpening everytime you need to use them. In most cases, honing is all that is required to restore the factory edge and a tristone is the best tool to do that.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 AM

Default The guy I recommended basically buffs out the edge. Same process Randall etc use.

I've always used a high speed buffer wheel with a very mild compound on my knives, but I've never sharpened kitchen knives. Is the tri-stone what you used when you were making a living with your knives?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Tri-stone is basically 3 sharpening stones with a progressive decrease in coarseness.

Buffing like that can work. It's a lot like using a steele but if a blade is damaged, it will take more to bring it back. The only problem is the wheel speed. If the blade is at the wrong angle or held to the wheel too long, it will round off the cutting edge. If you're using good quality knives on a proper cutting surface, you'll rarely need a tri-stone. I'd go for months with just a few swipes accross a diamond steele every now and then while working. Eventually, the edge will get to the point where it needs more than a steele to bring it back. When used correctly, the tri-stone will restore the factory edge without grinding it down or damaging it.