Anybody hear about the UF student that died from a beating?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody hear about the UF student that died from a beating?

This is so sad...

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Five men were charged with murder in the fatal beating of a University of Florida student, authorities said.

Numerous onlookers saw the beating Saturday night of Thomas Oliver Brown, 23, who was held down by three men and beaten by two others, the Jacksonville sheriff's office said.

Brown was not breathing and had no pulse when rescue personnel arrived. They tried to revive him, but he was pronounced dead at Shands Jacksonville, police said.

Jeremy Lane, 21, Alex Canzano, 21, Casey Schuurman, 19, and Mark Foss, 18, all of Jacksonville, and Jeffery Groncziak, 19, of Ponte Vedra Beach, were arrested and jailed on murder charges Sunday, police said.

The suspects fled after the beating but were stopped in a taxi van. A surveillance camera placed the suspects at the scene of the slaying, but the reason for the beating wasn't clear, police said.

Brown's father, Thomas J. Brown, said he was told by a detective that words were exchanged between his son and the attackers.

"He might have said something he shouldn't have, but it doesn't add up to murder," he told The Florida Times Union. "This isn't a fight, this is a massacre."

The younger Brown had attended Saturday's game between rivals Georgia and Florida in Jacksonville. The annual game known as the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party.

"We're not certain if it had anything to do with the game," sheriff's office spokesman Ken Jefferson said.

Samuel Canzano, father of Alex Canzano, broke into tears when asked about his son. He had tried, unsuccessfully, to contact him at the Duval County jail.

"He was not a kid who would do this kind of stuff," Samuel Canzano said. "With Alex, it was being in the wrong place at the wrong time."

It was not immediately known if any of the five men had a lawyer.<ul><li><a href="http://www.jacksonville.com/apnews/stories/103005/D8DIOSO01.shtml">UF student killed</a></li></ul>
Old 10-31-2005, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jesus-- if that happened at the Omni on the riverfront I saw it happen. :(

I parked my car in the parking deck next to the hotel and was walking up to the room when I saw a bunch of guys beating the **** out of someone. I didn't wanna get involved and possibly get my *** kicked, so I walked the other way around it.

Now I feel horrible.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Probably the same one. The newspaper said it happend a couple

blocks away from the Jacksonville Landing. Pretty sad thing for those punks to do. Probably had some words over the football game. But there were others there as well that couldn't break it up according to reports so in all fairness probably nothing you could have done. Just sad though.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:42 AM

you didn't attempt to call the police??
Old 10-31-2005, 10:21 AM

probably was the same one...I heard the CSX building's cameras caught the video.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:02 PM

Default And say what, theres a fight? If you were in my shoes you would want none of that either.

If I had called the police, I wouldn't have even known where to say it was. There were TONS of cops around the area anyway, you were pretty much rubbing shoulders with them all the time.

Hindsight is 20/20.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:20 PM

Default This is a tough one, and who knows if it would have made a difference

But I can say I've called the cops on my cell phone plenty of times for a lot less. Most of the time I'll get 'yeah, will send someone out.' But let's remember that we are trying to keep a civilized society here.
Sad situation no matter what happened.