CRAP! Small oil leak found

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRAP! Small oil leak found

Last week while working under my car I found oil on the side of the pan near the drain plug (passanger side). I thought it was residue from my oil change 1000 miles prior so I cleaned the area really well and put the car back together - BPV shim . So yesterday I decide to check to make sure everything is cool and I find another drop. It looks like it is coming from the front passenger side corner of the pan where it bolts to the block and some other piece of aluminum that's also bolted to the block. So, what is involved in removing the pan to replace the gasket? If it's only leaking MAYBE a teaspoon every couple weeks (have yet to find oil on the under tray) is it safe to leave it until my next oil change?

I also checked my timing belt for signs of oil (cousin had a front main seal go bad on his old 626 and the timing belt had oil all over it). No oil was seen on the belt.

Car also runs fine, and pulls as hard as it ever has
Old 12-01-2002, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd say your fine until the next change...

You might have a loose oil pan bolt. Don't try to tighten it youself. They're really brittle. Just have Jorge or Mike look at it during your next service. I'd keep and eye on it until then...
btw...How did the shim in the valve work out?
Old 12-01-2002, 08:05 AM

Default shimmmm.....

Good. The aluminum ring is 3.5mm. Response is better between shifts so I'd say it's doing what we thought. That's really the only difference I notice.

The oil leak kinda sucks, oh well, I'm sure Mike or Jorge can fix it.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That has happened to a lot of A4s.......

Jorge fixed it on my wife's car not too long ago. Oh, but wait...you are modified....

"All you warranty are belong to us"
Old 12-01-2002, 06:37 PM

Default Hahahahahaha, what is this "modified" you speak of?

Yeah, my 1 bar MTM chip caused my oil pan to leak I personally think having a motor mount ON THE OIL PAN is a bad idea. I can't imagine the stress put on the pan with the APR Snub mount.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:31 AM

Default Bad on A4s, worse on S4s

I did an Audiworld search of "oil pan leaks" and I'd say 90% of the results were S4 and A6 2.7T upper oil pan problems. So, the 2.7T has two oil pans?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:25 AM

1 BAR boost = increased crank case pressure. Warranty DENIED ;-)
Old 12-02-2002, 11:11 AM

Default Wha..... how is increased manifold pressure going to raise crank case pressure?

Crankcase pressure is directly related to the amount of oil in the engine, IE low oil level, decreased oil pressure - right Green!

I could be wrong, it happens from time to time
Old 12-02-2002, 04:23 PM

Default Positive Crank Case Ventilation. Basically there is a valve that applies vaccum from the manifold

to the crankcase. Under boost, the valve closes. Unfortunately this valve was never designed for 16psi so some boost is vented into the crankcase. Take one of your pre intercooler pipes off and you will probably find a light coat of oil. This is caused by some of that boost also blowing into the little catch can device on the intake track between the MAF and the turbo inlet.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:45 PM

Default You think that would cause a leak? WTF, Audi use bubble gum for the gasket?

Is 16psi what your 1.3 bar chip pushes? No slam, just curious

Quick Reply: CRAP! Small oil leak found