FL peeps w/CWP....if you get pulled over, are you required to tell Johnny Law you're a CWP holder...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FL peeps w/CWP....if you get pulled over, are you required to tell Johnny Law you're a CWP holder...

....and armed?

I couldn't find it in the book last night (granted I probably wasn't looking hard enough) and based on my driving history, it's something I should know

Common courtesy tells me I should (while maintaining a ten and two on the steering wheel).
Old 08-27-2008, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My instructors said you should always inform them if you have it on you concealed or it's in the car

But I don't recall him indicating it was required to inform them. But I could just be forgetting.

If it's on you, with you moving around to get paperwork for him, there's a damn good chance the officer will see it, and you don't want him pulling his gun on you thinking your a threat because he didn't know about it ahead of time.

If it's just concealed in the car in the glovebox or trunk, etc., then he's likely to never know unless he decided to search your car. If he does, it's better he knows about it ahead of time.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 AM

Default Required- no. Smart- yes.

Younger/less experienced cops will get real jumpy if you don't handle it right. Most of the older guys don't care and probably will just thank you for telling them. (I had a younger FHP trooper draw his gun and act like it was a felony stop when I was driving a work truck and I've had other cops just ask me how I like the particular model I have). My dad got pulled over in uniform and the cop got real panicky when he told him that his DL was in his gear bag next to his pistol (until he noticed the badge and the word POLICE on his shirt).

When I asked several cops that I know about this subject, they all gave pretty much the same answer.

1) Roll down your windows if you have tint (so they can see you. (plus you are less likely to get cited for dark tint) Also, turn the car off.

2) If it's dark out, turn on your interior lights.

3) Keep you hands where they can see them and don't go near the gun.

4) Be polite and just inform them that there is a firearm in the vehicle. If the weapon is securely encased, you don't even need a cwp. They will probably ask you where the weapon is located and if it's not securely encased or if it's next to your registration/insurance card you probably should mention the CWP at this point. They may or may not take it from you for the duration of the stop. Some will take it and run the serial number to make sure it's not stolen and others will hold it in their car until the stop is over (especially if you're getting an expensive ticket).

Just don't come off like a cop-wannabee-gun-fanatic and you'll be fine. They get so many loons that think they have some sort of brotherhood with cops because the have cwps. Some of the kooks even carry CWP badges!

Remember that these guys and gals are out all hours of the night dealing with the scum of the earth that would happily kill them rather than get a ticket or go to jail. So just treat them the way you would want to be treated.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 AM

Default wait a minute, this is Tom we're talking about...

nevermind- he's going to wind up getting beat down on the next episode of COPS or on the 11 o'clock news with two eyes full of pepper spray ;-)

Cops just LOVE Tom...almost as much as the Celebration HOA!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:47 AM

Default No way. The last time I was pulled over, it was for racing the cop (I didn't know obviously)

and he let me off with a warning!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM

Silver Mustang GT?
Old 08-27-2008, 07:39 AM

White Chevy Malibu (I think...that crap all looks the same)
Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

this begs the question.. why were you racing a chevy mailbu?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Default This asshat makes a left turn cross traffic as I'm trying to make a right....

(he's facing me) and I have right of way. So I hammer on it and blow past the guy (WAY over the posted limit) because I needed to be in the left lane which he is now occupying, I figured 'F you dude, it was my turn biatch'. It wasn't until the next light and after he's caught up to me that I realized it was a cop. Technically it wasn't racing (although he did speed up beside me.....come to think of it he might have been trying to get my attention...like 'hey I'm a cop' or something). He said he could nail me for any one of about six offenses (I know, I was impressed too), but that today was my 'lucky day'.

Lesson learned, I don't go out for lunch any more.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:27 AM

Default More likely story- it was a race Tom knew he could win...

he lives his life 1/4 mile at a time...and for those 15-16 seconds, he's free

*cue f&f soundtrack*

Quick Reply: FL peeps w/CWP....if you get pulled over, are you required to tell Johnny Law you're a CWP holder...