Fog light Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fog light Question...

I got ahold of a set of OEM foglights for 99+ A4's and installed them into my '97. The PO had a set of PIAA fogs (pictured in my sig) installed which i replaced with the OEM fogs. I performed this mod in July, and the fogs worked fine, but around mid Aughust, i noticed that they were no longer turning on.

I used the same wiring as the PO did. Here is how it goes:

I also have Xenon's installed which negates the Stock fog which was enclosed in the headlight. The PO decided to use the passenger side fog power wire as a signal for a separate relay.

He set up the relay with power comming directly from the battery, and ran the signal wire up the same path as the "stock" wiring through the firewall to the Relay. The power line going to the relay also has an inline fuse to prevent a short situation.

Troubleshooting:
First, i checked all connections. I recently re-crimped all the headlight/foglight connections with butt connectors due to the PO's use of Spade connections...grrr... So i know that all the connections post harness are good.

Next i checked all the wiring to and from the relay/battery. Battery is connected, relay connections good.

Next, i checked the Stock Foglight Fuse. Good. Inline fuse for relay...good.

I decided to disconnect the OEM harness from the "adaptor" that runs to the Xenon/fogs, and check the signal wire comming from the OEM Connector.

No dice. I started the engine and turned on both the high's and Low's and recieve 12V+ from each. I got <.5V from the foglight wire. And that is from the STOCK connection.

At this point i moved on to the foglight switch itself. Popped it out from it's cubby hole and verified the 12V supplied power from the ground and Blue/white wire with the Low beams on.
However, i do not have a wiring diagram available, so i'm not sure where the two bottom wires go to/from.

Is there another relay for the Fogs that could possibly have gone bad? The situation leads me to believe this due to the fact that there is no voltage present on the stock foglight Voltage supply wire at the Headlight harness.

TIA