Guys...give me a good audio shop in the Orlando, FLorida area...(venting post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys...give me a good audio shop in the Orlando, FLorida area...(venting post)

edit delete
So just got got 2, 7 inch SAVV monitors in the mail off of an Audizine member, already installed in the headrests, etc. I have a Pioneer 6.5 Stand alone headrest monitor sitting here. I want to have full video throughout my whole car. I went to the local audio shop here in Orlando, Florida, great reviews from everyone, they put out amazing work.

Well, I've dealt with them before, had my system in the trunk installed by one of their shops. Went to their other shop which was closer, over X-mas to talk to them about getting video in my car. Well, they were nice and cordial, etc. Talked to me about it. I even had them try to fit the monitors into the headrests...they couldn't do it. So...I figured, what the hell, heres some monitors already installed, in the headrests...looks damn clean...getting it for a good price, by pass the labor these guys place on their work, and be done with it, happy in the end. So..I go over there today, being that it is my spring break, and I want to get all my work done in my home town...(I go to school in Atlanta, GA, only come home for the breaks, and the car is at home, while I'm at school), and I talk to the guy who I've dealt with...the first guy I originally talked to about fitting the 7 inch monitors, told me "oh oh yeah they'll fit blah blah blah" find out after they had my car for the weekend, and I called them up monday morning asking about my car, they told me, oh im sorry it won't fit, and then I asked about the guy who told me about it, "...I'm sorry he's left the country..." WOW!

That was all over X-mas break. So I go over there today, honestly the only reason I go to them is 1) Clean work area 2)Shop seems professional 3) Work isn't done out of the back of a truck, or outside in the open, or in a dusty garage 4)Two big shops, they really do know what they're doing with ALL makes and models...so I go over there today and I talk to the guy, and first he gives me a 15 minute lecture about how the monitors aren't that great because anyone can steal them..

and that they could've done the job, and I kept telling him how I'm happy with it, and he keeps trying to discourage me from my purchase...so we sit down and start talking about what I want to do, and basically because I didn't buy ANYTHING from him, and I will never buy anything from an audio shop, don't get me wrong, sure they warranty it, but 350 dollars for a DVD player, that only has DVD capabilities...i'm sorry but thats a little rediculous, considering 7 inch's of monitor won't show the difference between a 350 dollar DVD player and a 220 dollar DVD player...so he keeps trying to persuade me into doing a custom dash installation for the 6.5 monitor...

I'm look listen man, I don't have like an unlimited amount to spend, I have a budget, I'm only a student, give me a break here. He tells me, "...since its an Audi, I mean its a nice car man, you can't do a half *** job..." I'm like, I understand, but give me a break, 1100 dollars for having all that sh*t done..give me a break.....I'm going to go hunting for another place when I have all wiring, and all the parts in my hand...I sometimes wish I knew how to install stuff myself, so I could avoid the hassle...are all shops like this?

Jonathan
Old 03-11-2005, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default People might recommend the same shop if you don't say which one you already went to

Audio Excellence is highly recommended, and there is some Audio "something" place out on West Colonial, forgot the name exactly, but they have a very large parking lot that is fenced in. Always has high end cars there.

Many car audio shops will rake you over the goals on install only stuff. They make a good profit on the markup on your buying their gear. So when you walk in with your own stuff, they want to rape you.

Installing the monitors into your seats, since they are already mounted in headrests is going to just involve taking the backing of the seat off so you can fish the wires down and get them out somewhere. Then they have to run to your video source.

Installing your 6.5" standalone screen could cost some $$. It sounds like it's not an indash flip out, right? If so, something has to be custom fabbed to make it fit. You don't say where you want it to go. And what about your source? What is going to drive the screens?

$1100 might not be that bad of a price to install all that stuff. I have a general idea of what fair pricing should be, but without more details on exactly what needs to be done, I can't say for sure.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Default See Laird Electronics! Excellent work, Very Low Price.

The guy has been at the same location for something like 20 years. Tell him Nick Egoroff sent you. You won't be disappointed!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:04 AM

Default I'm not gonna lie...its Audio Excellence...and the place you're talking about...

off West Colonial is don't get me wrong, great, featured in all the mags, brag about it left and right, but when it comes to treating customers who aren't basketball players, and movie stars, they suck @$$!! I walked in there, they do all their installs outside, in the dirty area, their parking lot has pot holes all over it, and their shop is the size of my bathroom...ehh, professionalism??

I wanted to do either A) mount the 6.5 in the dash kit sold by autotoys.com, do a bit of dremeling, sure its plastic, but it gets the job done...these guys wanted me to custom fab something, wrap it in leather, etc... B) have it mounted right above the stock symphony system in front of the air vent with a bracket, they kept trying to tell me it wouldnt look nice, when I'm telling them I think it looks awesome there, he was going to charge me like 300 dollars for just that, I told him forget it, I'll wait.

Jonathan
Old 03-11-2005, 12:30 PM

Default You just gotta face the fact that you get what you pay for. And with those places with a reputation

to uphold, they're just not gonna do an install that they don't think is up to their usual standards. Word of mouth means a lot in that business and if they do an install that some folks think looks cheap it reflects badly on them.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ssome of the best car audio shop sin the country are holes in the walls

A big fancy show room is not always a good sign of a high quality shop.

And yea, Jody hit it on the head. The 2 places that have been mentioned or known for very high end, high dollar installs, and they will easily turn away your $1000 in business if they don't feel it's good for their rep. They are used to doing 10k+ installs most of the time, on average.

I'd suggest just doing it yourself. It's really not that complicated work to do. Get on some forums like cardomain and just ask questions.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:22 PM

you wanna do the install for me? lol you make it seem a lot easier then it really is, its really not