Having a new car warranty is nice...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having a new car warranty is nice...

Took the g/f's Jeep Grand Cherokee to Midas to get a free inspection to see why it's rattling like crazy. Results yield ALL 8 control arm bushings shot, shock stabalizer bad, torn motor mount, leaking oil adaptor plate, broken catalytic converter, bad front sway bar links.

All in all, $1800 in repairs at standard Midas prices. So I went over to check it out, yup, all that is fuct on the car, so I tell them to get me a price to just change the control arm bushings since they quoted for new arms. 10 minutes later "We don't recommend it, but we can do it, but we have to order parts, it be easier if you order your own. Listen, I can give you 10% off on parts and 10% off on labor based on the ticket as it is".

So $870 later the car will have 4 brand new control arms and bushings, new shock stabalizer, and a new oil adaptor. I couldn't get prices on brand new control arms online, but bushing kits were ~$80. I would have saved around $150 to have just the bushings fixed, so I said F-IT, let them put on new arms. The discount they gave was worth having it done.

Now I just need to order a cat online $120 vs 299 at midas) and get a muffler shop to put that on. Motor mount is staying torn since car is getting sold within 6 months hopefully, and the sway links look like they'll last till then.

All in all, for 135k miles on a car that was never taken care of much over the past 5 years, it's not that bad. The CVs, tie rods, and ball joints were all good, nothing else bad up front.

Just makes me glad I don't have to pay for crap like this because I own a brand new car