Hey, i got a great idea for a AUDI club day!!!!!!! Really good idea!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:58 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My counter proposal:

Someone besides the Audi Club should rent the track if it's that much of a hassle. I think it would be totally worth it to make this a private event. Wednesday/Friday night drags are really really boring and slow. Like I said, you'd be lucky to get more than two runs in all night. They open at 6PM, but rarely are they ever up and running before 6:30. There are always people breaking down, spilling oil, causing delays, etc.

It can't cost THAT much or be that big of a hassle to rent Bithlo for a few hours of private racing.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:02 PM

Default My input.....

Drag racing is for rear or front drive cars...not quattro's or AWD. This should be something people get together OFF forums and do. Plus Jon, dont you own a BMW now?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Should I skip my BBK & get a parachute?
Old 02-25-2006, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think its a matter of owning a bmw or not... People like having fast cars. Myself included.

I've been out to bithlo myself a few times with Vince and Jon. Had a great time. Its just another way of enjoying your car. I say as long your willing to pay for a clutch if it breaks. Go for it.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alright Jon, you got my interest, I'll work with ya on this one.

You wanna call bithlo. I wonder what they would charge for say 3 hrs of private use for say a saturday morning. Or sunday morning.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

get the NOS instead
Old 02-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Elder Member

Default Yes, I do own a BMW.

I just don't hold to the thought that drag racing is for "ricer boys" even though I have a decent amout of experience with track events and "real" racing. I think that any car (RWD/FWD/AWD/3WD/Whatever) can be fun at the dragstrip, so while AWD might not be perfectly suited for it, it certainly shouldn't be the limiting factor to not to come out and see what you/your car can do.

*zips up nomex suit*...

Also, I understand that this is the AUDI club, and that in some people's view, I have "gone to the dark side" by buying an M3. That's fine but I have been more active with the local BMW guys then I ever was with the Audi club, long before I got rid of my S4... and my S4 had to go for a long list of reasons. None of which being because I've moved on from the brand. I have always loved audis and still do. I convinced my uncle to buy an A6 2.7t recently and my family just recently got an Allroad. It's also not a personal thing at all, I have made many good friends that I hope to keep from the audi club (which is why I still read and post to this board), but the BMW guys are just more my speed. They meet up every week for dinner, like to go out on weekends together, go for drives, host and attend car shows, like to have parties (like the one I'm going to tonight) and *gasp* like to go to the drag strip on a semi-regular basis. We have fun when we go (even though we usually only get a few passes in) and theres a fun rivalry between a bunch of the M3 guys and even the others: modded 3 series, M5s, 2002 M20 swap turbo... insane little car. Granted, they aren't perfect. They don't have the leadership or organization that this club has always had. I tip my hat to Christian and Shawn and the other club leaders. You guys do a kickass job and I just want to thank you here and now for all of the effort that you put into keeping this club what it is. I've had a BLAST at Sebring the past few years and the audi corral is largely to thank for that. I hope that I'm still welcome to come hang out this year (though I'll park in whatever tiny "corral" BMW will have).

I know there are a select few guys on here who can enjoy going to the drag strip every now and then, and I was trying to keep Warren's enthusiasm going (because he alwas seems to get shot down when he posts here) to put something together for those that are interested. I thought it might be a good opportunity to host something for the local audi/bmw/vw/friends who are interested. I guess I just don't understand the opposition to a local, fun, easy motorsports event that could bring alot of cool people and cars together.

What I am proposing is exactly what you said, that we get a group together OFF of the forum. It would not be affiliated with the audi club, because obviously there is little interest for it with this group and the paperwork to hold it under the audi club name isn't worth the effort for the group as a whole. I've always understood that to be the case with the majority of this group, even when I had my Audi and took it drag racing.

I don't mean any harm or offense by this post, just stating observations and trying to stir the pot a bit. Have a good night.

*keeps nomex suit on and puts on helmet and HANS device*
Old 02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Elder Member

Default I actually emailed them a few days ago.

If I don't hear back soon, I'll call.

I think 3 hours would be the perfect amount of time, if not more than enough. Like I said, I can't imagine it would be hugely costly, but I'll find out. I'm thinking if it's ~$1000 that we could get 25 cars or so (BMWs. Audis, VWs, I know a Mustang or 3 that would be interested, plus probably a Viper or 2 and a Corvette or 2).

So if we can only get 25 cars (I have a feeling that will be plenty easy), that makes it $40 per person if my guess is right. Sound about fair?
Old 02-25-2006, 05:02 PM
Elder Member

He can borrow my NX kit I have sitting in the garage. :-D
Old 02-25-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Geezus, didnt know I would hit a NERVE!!

Some of us NEED to have a club that gets together EVERY week, has something going EVERY night....but I really think most of us in this club are professional adults and have other things going on. You and some others are still young...and have a great need for all this. Thats great! I love the fact Warren has brought his ENERGY and stuff...he is a good guy. BUT, you and he need to understand....some of us just dont have the same views. And that is all good. I really enjoy this club...and the friends I have made (and even the ones that might not like me)....but that is life.
Im not here to start Shiat...im just stating MY and I will say it again....MY! opinion. Im glad you have your M3 and are in the BMW club. I personaly have never gotten along with ANY BMW driver since the late 80's. BUT it happens. I did the Drag racing legal and illeagal....I have done lots of track days....and stuff. This is not a show your "*****" thing, this is about getting to gether, talken shiat about other cars and getting messed up together on Sebring....SO...lets just all get along....and I will open a beer for ya at Sebring! (or a coke)

Quick Reply: Hey, i got a great idea for a AUDI club day!!!!!!! Really good idea!!