I called Allstate to check my insurance for the new A4..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I called Allstate to check my insurance for the new A4..

And for the exact same coverage as the 97 (Diana did a side by side comparison) the 01.5 coverage was 200 more.

COVERAGE LIMITS
Bodily Injury 25/50
Property Damage 50 Included
Collision 500 DED
Comprehensive 500 DED
Towing And Labor (Occ) 50
UM/UIM Bodily Injury 25/50
Rental Reimbursement(Day) 30 DAY
Personal Injury Coverage VA02
Item Premiums: $ 796.98

I decided for ****s and giggles that i would check with USAA to see what their coverage would cost for the same thing (Dad and Christian both swear by USAA for the customer support and care during policy use) and it was only $100 more.

All values are per Six months...

This is a big step down from when USAA was $1600 for the 97 when Allstate was $565.

For me being a 21 year old male for the USAA premium to be that low is exciting. However, Allstate has been really good to me expecially with my accident in March. I did get a confirmation from both companies that the accident was not the increase in premium cost. Each did a side-by-side comparison with todays coverage prices and they came up with the same increase. The only thing i can come up with is it has 20 extra HP stock and is 4 years newer...which makes the ACV higher which would cause an increased policy price.

The big question is this:
Should I spend the extra $100 for the chance that USAA will be much better? or should i stick with Allstate?
Old 08-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say you change your name again
Old 08-12-2005, 02:46 AM
jc
AudiWorld Super User

Default Get on USAA and stay there. I don't have it but wish i did.

Its one of the few mutual auto insurance companies out there..it will be worth it in the long run when you want home, auto, life, etc...
Old 08-12-2005, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great thing about the mutual model is that it helps prevent fraud.

Insurance fraud, especially in car/home insurance is really bad, and the mutual model builds a confidence of ownership with each member, and therefore the fraud rate is minimal.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default you need much higher UM/UIM coverage

your limits are way too low.

the main limits of insurance is for the damage that you do to others - if you want to keep that low - 25/50 because you are a careful driver, ok.

But with UM/UIM, you are purchasing insurance against uninsured and underinsured people - the jerks that cause the accident with you, it is their fault, you are seriously injured or your car is totaled and they have no insurance or very little insurance. If you have injuries greater than 50k, which is possible with just 2-3 days in the hospital and some time out of work, you are SOL. Extra coverage is cheap, lower deductibles are not.

Even though it costs more, when I was 21 (in 1993), I had 300k/300k with UM/UIM stacked for 600k. In VA that was about 2k/year on my 1980 Audi with a crank sunroof.

Try GEICO and Amica.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the adivce on the UM/UIM...

But as for GEICO, i have sworn them off.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's not a good deal at all

My 01 A4 was leased, so I had to keep higher coverage with State Farm, and I had $250 deductibles and I paid $1320/yr roughly. My coverages were WAY better then what you listed.

I had good student discount, and the safety discounts that the A4 offered.

I was 21 when I got it, and I had a clean record. I had a multi line discount for renters insurance, but that only saved me $20 every 6 months.

Even after you graduate, with State Farm at least, all you do is provide them your last semesters grades every year and you keep good student until you hit 25, which is when the rates re-adjust for age and the age adjustment basically equals the good student discount (which you can only get until age 25)
Old 08-12-2005, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I also think the Property Damage limit is too low.

What happens if you hit an E55 AMG or something. $50K is not gonna cut it if you total the guy's car.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default correct

once you go higher on the liability/UM/UIM coverage, the PD limit usually is lower, but 100k is usually the min I would have, particularly if it is 100k per person and not per occurance.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default USAA has always been great to me. I think its worth the $100, plus you'll get it back

most likely - as I got a $160 refund check last year after paying about $1000 in insurance the whole year.

I have had a few claims, and alot of communication with USAA.. Never a problem, always great.

Also, if you dont have USAA when you turn 23, grad college/move out, then you cannot go back and get it later. Make sure you have an active bank/investment account or insurance (you have renters, right? Mine is $100 a year w/ them) when you cross that period to ensure you have coverage the rest of your life. It would suck to lose the membership and not get it back.

Quick Reply: I called Allstate to check my insurance for the new A4..