My turn: I got a ticket 2 weeks ago. I thought I had a decent chance to fight it.....but...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My turn: I got a ticket 2 weeks ago. I thought I had a decent chance to fight it.....but...

But it looks like I'll just have to pay up and let it go.

I was doing 76 on I-4 by Maitland, and the cop pulls me over and states I was doing 76, which seemed plausible. He makes a strange comment about my back window, and only later do I realize he was referring to my Anti-W sticker on the back of my car. So that explains why he wasn't going to let me off. Camaro driving jerk got offended by my sticker, fine, I have do deal with petty people all the time, this is no different.

So he says he will write me a ticket for only 59 in a 50, and I said "sure, sounds great, thanks."

20 Min later, I am going by the same trap, and I see that the posted speed limit is 55, not 50. So I start thinking that I have a good chance to go to court and have it thrown out, due to the fact that 4mph over is a bit silly for a ticket. Or at least have adjudication withheld, yadda yadda.

But damn that cop wrote in the notes section of the ticket that I was really doing 76. So if I went to court, I am sure that would come up, and they would slap me with the gavel.

Oh well. Such is life. I don't have time to go to court anyway.

PS- it was laser.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was it really a Camaro?

I remember your snickering at my Bush/Cheney sticker the first time we met at a Suncoast GTG... I never thought you held it against me.

I assume you don't have lidatek or anything similar. Sorry about the ticket. With me it's just the law of averages; the speeding tickets will come.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No, crown vic

I have no way to prove this, but given his comment, I would suggest that if I had an "I luv Bush" sticker, he would have let me go.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't be surprised.

Seems almost everything they do (ticket-wise at least) is discretional, and that includes being petty.

You wouldn't believe what I got let out of on my way back from Road Atlanta. The highway patrol officer really wanted to get home; I got <i>real</i> lucky. I've been driving like a saint since to try to recalibrate my karma.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 AM

oh yeah? I didn't hear this story-- how fast?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:07 AM

I"m guessing he was traveling at "some speed" when the story takes place
Old 05-21-2006, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OK, enough time has passed...

I pulled a really stupid maneuver. I was getting fed-up with that <i>Sunday</i> 85 Atlanta traffic. That's the first clue that you're being stupid-- traffic is traffic, it's gonna happen-- deal with it.

Typical non-conscientious drivers-- 1/4 mile gaps in the passing lane with all sorts of room for people to yeild to faster traffic... after about 45 minutes of this I saw a particularly bad example of it ("WTF are these people waiting for?!"). I think you can see it coming...

I pulled two lanes over to the right and accelerated like, well, a Stg 3 S4, and rocketed around a long parade of slow cars being held up by... a Highway Patrol car.

She (yes, she) immediately hit her lights-- and I immediately saw jail time in my near future. I was easily doing 100, and accelerating, when I passed her. I pulled over immediately; fortunately there was an exit right there so I could get off the highway.

I did everything I could think of-- windows down, hands on the wheel, no stashing of the V1... She came up to the window-- looking pretty ragged-- and ask me, "do you know...?" I said "yes, I know, it was incredibly stupid." She asked for my license and says, exasperated, "I've had a <i>really</i> long day and now you have to go and pull this stunt right in front of me..." I said, "I'm sorry."

She takes my license back, does all the checks, and about two minutes later she comes back and asks me, "What's in the cup?" I tell her Red Bull. She says my eyes are red, I tell her I'm on my way home from a long weekend at Road Atlanta. She asks, "You live in Gainesville?" I reply, "yes". She says, "how far is that?" I say, "About 4 or 5 hours from here." She says, "Go home" in the tone of <i>get the f out of my state</i>. I said, "Thank you-- and you can bet I won't be driving like that anymore." The whole thing took about 7 minutes.

And that was that. You can understand why my driving Karma is in huge deficit right now... I've <i>NEVER</i> been let off for anything like that and I doubt I ever will be again.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:20 PM

ha, good for you. that would've been a long day in the slammer...
Old 05-21-2006, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You can say that again. What's up with the sig?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ah! That explains it. No pics from Sideline yet...

but my card was charged the other day so it should be soon.

Quick Reply: My turn: I got a ticket 2 weeks ago. I thought I had a decent chance to fight it.....but...