Ok with all the track discussion below...Need to take a survey and recruit volunteers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what the wives and girlfriends are for ! <running for cover>
Old 07-16-2004, 07:06 PM

Default Sebring of course.

And I wouldn't mind paying up to $500 for a weekend. I'd want open passing or at least pass anywhere with a point by. I think this is possible for the racers or advanced students attending.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:54 PM

I'm up for the driver's ed. I know I could learn a lot from our more experienced drivers.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sebring, $350, no banquet, free day for instructors, cheaper for volunteers.

Skid pad and lane change stuff is going to attract a different crowd than a full on track day. I'd skip it for a track day thing.

Get Sebring on a weekend, and you will fill it up... But, honestly, Chin has that covered.... I'd partner with him rather than do you own event jazz.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default some observations/suggestions...

There are 2 different groups of people here:
1) Those who wants to drive in race or simulated race conditions (e.g. open lapping). These folks should sign up for Chin MS.
2) Those who are interested in learning to drive safer and faster. Drivers/skills conditioning. The purpose of DEs.

As far as intro'ing new drivers (novice/green group), I've seen it done 2 ways:
BMWCCA-Boston requires all students to complete a "Car Control Clinic" before they can sign up for DEs. Basically, it's a 1 day event where they intro drivers to slalom, braking, emergency manuvers, etc. Runs about $40, held at some empty parking lot. That way, when they get on the track, they have some basic understanding of vehicle dynamics and control.

NEQ - they put 1st time students in a similar car control clinic, except it is held on the first day of the DE. So, if you are a novice, you would spend the better half of your 1st day off in the control clinic. You get 1 on-track session at end of the 1st day.

IMO, I like the BMWCCA's CCC better, simply because students would have have more track time when they get to the DEs. Whereas with NEQ, the students minds may be wandering (thinking about the track), and not focusing on the excerises/drills.

Just my 2 cents.
Cris
Old 07-17-2004, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm in!

I'll instruct wherever.

Moroso would probably be the most appropriate 'real' track to have an ACNA event.
I agree with Scott, until we get Nationals help and a couple events under our belts, Sebring needs to be done in conjuction with Safe or Chin.
Gainesville would be a great quarterly event.

I'll help out however I can!
Old 07-17-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Keep it up...some good suggestions...now a few answers and reasonings...

Driver's Ed events are expensive regardless of location but there is a limited number of ways to offset cost. Each track has a maximum number of cars that can be on course per mile of track available. For example, Sebring full course can withstand a maximum of 30 cars on track per session without building up long "trains" (remember those point by's). One reason I threw sebring into the choice is due to the versitility. Full course runs approx $12k per day for just the track. However they also offer partial "short" course rentals as well. I saw Gainesville mentioned several times. Being objectionable to the no passenger limitations, I will not organize an event there. I do not feel comfortable with "follow the leader" type instruction, and would require an in-car instructor for all run groups. I have seen too many severe injuries with that type of school and think it is an unecessisary risk and temptaion for the novices. One issue facing us is the very very small number of instructors in our club. Unless you've instructed with another organization in the last 12 months, you won't be instructing for us until you receive a sign-off from our chief instructor. A lapping day would be open to those who have participated solo in at least 2 full weekends at prior events and of course instructors. If we're gonna do this...it's got to be done right...no half a$$ed 2nd rate event. With so many organizations doing these events now you have to have something unique to attract the regulars. Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:45 AM

Default What about organizing an autocross event?

Cheaper for sure, and probably what most of us need to start off.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That is much more appropriate than a Sebring event.

There are only about 6-10 guys here who want to do a full on hard core track day. The majority of the people here just want a chance to learn driving skills, have some fun running their car at high speed, and see what their capabilities are. That is why we need to stick to a driver's ed event, or even an autocross type of event.

Most of here do NOT want to go full on at Sebring in their daily driver (need I remind you why?). We need to attract enough people to pay for an event, and I think most will want drivers ed, not a full hard core track day.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm back from planet Bootylon

When the weather cools off I plan on setting up a little GIR day.. Way to hot now..Back to the mother ship..

Quick Reply: Ok with all the track discussion below...Need to take a survey and recruit volunteers...