Video editing BT (do we have one....Studdard or Ross?)...need help/suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video editing BT (do we have one....Studdard or Ross?)...need help/suggestion

Run down...

We recently upgraded our video camera and now our crappy Sony DVD (RDR-GX315POS) recorder won't cooperate with the creation of DVDs from our video footage (lots of choppy/stuttering crap video). I have a feeling it's because the recorder doesn't know what to do with the HDV information (our old DV camera works fine). I don't really want to buy another DVD recorder as I've been told they, in general, aren't that good anyway. So I've decided to do the computer edit/burn thing. This is where it gets confusing....I've been told something like Pinnacle on a PC will do the trick ...HOWEVER... to edit HD footage I need a minimum of 2gig ram and a processor faster than my 2gP4. To get my existing PC to run how I need would cost about $1000...wtf. On the other side of the coin, the production dept. @ work use only Mac with Final Cut Pro, so they recommend something on the Apple side. I have never owned a Mac so I'm a little nervous about dropping coin on a computer/OS I know nothing about, but I've been all but promised it will do exactly what I want (Mac > PC for video editing according to several people I've asked).

Do any of you guys do/know about any of this stuff? Suggestions?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:02 PM

Default A bit of a learning curve here...

So you have a new hi-def camcorder? Which model?

I think there are two basic formats for hi-def video: HD-DVD and AVCHD. Pros and Cons to each format. The trick for you is how do you burn a hi-def DVD, right? I think the answer is going to be complicated...probably too complicated for this thread. I can refer you to some reading...

I'll go out on a limb and point you to a Sony forum that can probably help get you started:
http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/index.php

BTW - I've heard that Mac/Apple is far superior to Windows for editing video.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Default The camera is HD.....

But since HD-DVD recorders are not in the picture right now, I'd be happy getting DVD quality out of my recordings. If I connect the camera directly to our HDTV via component cables the picture is unreal (1080i). The trouble is when I try to burn it to DVD. I understand the image won't be nearly the same (480p vs 1080i) but what I'm experiencing is unwatchable stuttering of the image. Reminds me of playing a video game on your computer and you hit a section of the game where the CPU gets pushed and the frame rate drops drasticaly for a split second.

The camera is a Canon HV-10 recording 1080i in HDV format (uses standard MiniDV tapes). I know of a couple people with the same camera and they aren't having the same issue (neither of them are using Sony DVD recorders). I thought maybe it was from the down converting so I shot some footage in SD mode and the burned DVD still came out stuttering. It's been suggested that the recorder doesn't have the correct firmware(?) to deal with the HDV format (I have no idea). I've contacted Sony and they've been about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How does it connect to your DVD recorder?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:08 AM

Default Firewire 400 (iLink)

I wanted to try component-in but unfortunately the POS recorder only has component-out.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:47 AM

ygm
Old 06-14-2007, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah you can't use Firewire to transfer HDV because it's a different format from DV...

And your DVD recorder doesn't understand the format streaming from your camera. There might be a setting that allows you to change output from HDV to DV on the camera if not you will have to use the S-Video input on the front of the recorder.

Right now Blu-Ray HD-DVD recorders are too expensive so I would just use the S-Video in. If there is stuff you really want to keep in HD I would just save the tapes until you cheaper recorders are available.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default He said he didn't want to spend a lot of money.

A PC capable of handling HDV with decent editing speed won't be cheap.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default HDV is a different format than DV. Firewire is the physical link not the CODEC.

The device on the other side has to be able to decode the CODEC to transcode to MPEG-2 for the DVD. His DVD recorder doesn't support HDV.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I found a manual for your camera. Read page 60. You need to have the camera transcode from HDV to DV

Let me know if you have any other q's.<ul><li><a href="http://www.nycv.com/manuals/Canon/HV10NIM-EN.pdf">http://www.nycv.com/manuals/Canon/HV10NIM-EN.pdf</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Video editing BT (do we have one....Studdard or Ross?)...need help/suggestion