X-post from S4: "The Audi S4, always an adventure"

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-post from S4: "The Audi S4, always an adventure"

I had an intersting experience last night. I'm approaching 1,500 miles on the new engine (I know, I drive too much) so I decided to put my apr ecu back in the car. I left it in stock mode for most of the day, then I decide to head to Miami with some friends for dinner and a movie. I put the car into chipped mode before we head to Miami and it's running great. We get done with a disgustingly huge dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and head back to the S4. I start it up, idle for a min or two while I digest food and then, it just dies.

The car just switched off like I had killed the ignition or something, which I hadn't. I try to start it, no go. It cranks and cranks, but it doesn't start. No worries, I'm Jon Miller, My S4 hates me, this is to be EXPECTED when riding in my car!I put it back into stock mode, and it starts right up. Wierd.... but, ok.

We then head to the movies (We saw SWAT, it was just ok). Come out from the movies, start car again make it almost all the way out of the parking garage, and then the car dies again. NO CEL, no warning, no rough idle, just goes from fine to dead. We push the car a few feet out of the way, and decide to take a walk to a gas station to get a pair of plyers to check out the ECU, see if there's a a loose connection or something. Well, lo and behold as me and my friend are walking back from our plyer procuring adventure, my friend pulls up to the gas station in my car. Cool, it's running now (later he tells me that on his way to pick us up a turbo supra revved on him, so he reved back and then the car died again!! LOL, glad I wasn't there for that!).

So we take off the ecu cover, check it out, seems like everything is ok, but we disconnect it anyway just to be sure, and the ECU itself was pretty damn hot. I'm not sure if that's supposed to be like that, but it was so hot that for the first minute or two we couldn't touch it.

Anyway, it's now approaching 11:30pm and I'm like, I NEED to Vag my car, this is pissing me off, let's flag down every VW and Audi we see and ask for a vag tool. NOTE: 16-25 year old girls driving GTIs and Jettas think that you're being obscene when you randomly ask them to use their "vag tool." :-D

So now I'm like, screw it, lets just put my ECU and hopefully we'll make it home (about 1 hour away from home)... All of a sudden I hear a very nice exhaust tone with a hint of turbo whine off in the distance. Naturally, I wait to see what it is...

Stage 3 A4, with a front mount! Nice! He looks over, sees my hood propped up with a pitching wedge (that a custom modification, did it myself... hehe) and actually busts a Uturn to come see what's wrong! What a guy! First thing I say? "Hey man, you don't have a vag-com, do you?"

Folks, let me just pause here, and say, I love Audiworld. I really do. Without this place who knows what I'd do. Back to the story:

Not only did he see us, not only was he nice enough to stop, not only did he have a vag-com, but he took us to his house, logged my codes, took a look at my ECU, emailed me the codes, and talked audis with us for a little while and showed us some of the cool **** on his car. He also said that the thing that caught his eye and made him turn around and help us out was that he saw my audiworld license plate frame. Did I mention that I LOVE AUDIWORLD?! Many Many Many thanks to StevenH on the A4 forum, super super nice guy.

How wierd is that though, I mean, what are the chances?

Oh, also, if anyone has any idea what any of these mean or what could be up with my ecu (I put it back to stock mode and made it back home ok) I'd appreciate it too. Thanks guys, and here are the codes:

9 Faults Found:
16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0300 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16685 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
P0301 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16688 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
P0304 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16687 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
P0303 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16686 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0302 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16689 - Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
P0305 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16487 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too High
P0103 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17748 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed
Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation
P1340 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Old 08-13-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Dam that is crazy dude but glad to hear it worked out ... hang out around ucf enough>

and you'll see wierd stuff like that always happens I swear every girl or guy I meet knows another 10 people i know
Old 08-13-2003, 02:10 PM

I was happy to help Jon, good luck getting everything worked out.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd clear it and let it idle in stock mode and then check it.. Almost looks like it skipped a timing

timing signal or something. I know I used to have to re-tension a new timing belt in the 944 after 1000-1500 miles (stretched during breakin). Maybe your timing belt slipped a tooth, which would make the engine not think everything is where it should be.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:01 PM

Default Mike...glad you mentioned the timing belt.....(more)

I had a friend of mine call me yesterday and was asking if the timing belt needs to be retensioned after replacinement....I know that on the 2.8's you dont and could only guess that the 2.7 is the same way...does anyone know the answer?
Old 08-13-2003, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not sure about the Audi's, if they self tension or not... I have 7 years on mine.. needa check!
Old 08-15-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Ahhhh Steven ..... he just bought that VAG off me a couple of week ago :-)

Guess i should be thanked !!!

just kidding .. glad he could help ... but he's usually a jerk