Rebuilding 20VT engine.... I'm new in this forum and know nothing about this engine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding 20VT engine.... I'm new in this forum and know nothing about this engine...

Hi guys... I bought the 200 20VT with 164... miles on it.. Engine seem to be working fine but not the Turbo (at least this is what I feel). I don't see any "boost" coming from the Turbo. Anyway I was planning to change the Turbo. I'm planning to swap this engine into my Coupe. What should I check and what needs to be replaced? I will have the engine out. What needs to be rebuild? What parts and were I can get them?? I don't want make a 400-600 PS monster so easy with the upgrades.. The best, and not very expensive way to fix this engine and have something around 300-340 PS...

how to check the turbo? The orginal boost display does not work. The whole display unit its not working so i can't see what is the status with the turbo.

Thanks a lot...
Old 09-21-2006, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Rebuilding 20VT engine.... I'm new in this forum and know nothing about this engine...

Get rid of that engine, it's completely worthless. I'll take it off your hands for a small disposal fee. If it were me, I'd rebuild the entire engine since it'll be removed. I know, they have great longevity, but that's a great opportunity to have any internal work done you may want in the future. I've seen some people argue that a head rebuild is sufficient, but I'd advice against it and just go through the whole damn thing. Better to do it right the first time than to kick yourself in the *** when your well-sealing rebuilt head reveals your piston rings as your engine's next weakest link. That's my $0.02. As for the rest of your question, I'm not totally sure but I'm sure someone else will chime in
Old 09-22-2006, 04:15 AM
No Bozos!

Default To check boost

The boost sensor is after the throttle plate on the manifold. And it's not the best for troubleshooting anyways. If the turbo is spinning, likely it's making boost, but you may have a leak. The other possibility is the sensor isn't working at all. Tapping in a manual boost sensor pre throttle plate would tell you for sure.

As for the rebuild, indeed do a thorough jpb while it's out. I'd do a head job and bottom end bearings, both rod and crank. Do the crank seals with the whole gasket set. You don't want oil coming out the back end and ruining a new clutch and your PP. Make sure the oil pump assy and pressure relief spring are gone through, you don't want to lose oil pressure. By re-doing the bearings too you'll ensure you've got decent oil pressure as well. But at least make a note of your pressure before you yank it out.

You might also want to lok for a metal distributor gear if yours has a plastic one. I'm not sure if it does or not, but sheck when you pull it.

If you're going fairly mild a good HD clutch should be fine, but if you want to push it at all consider a heavier duty PP and disk.

You want to subscribe to the ES2 mailing list at AudFans. There's a lot of us with conversions on that list.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Check here

<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/20vboost.html">SjmAutotechnik</a></li></ul>