[medical] -off topic- Please read, Please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [medical] -off topic- Please read, Please help

i ask the good people out there to please help. i've just been informed that one of my best friends, fellow vw/audi enthusiast and all around great human is in dire need of a neurosurgeon, and if nothing else, a moment of prayer.

i gave him my word i would do my best to help and this is only the beginning. he has suffered a seizure that fortunately enough has him in -as far as any average person could tell- acceptable health at this time. but due to the severity is unable to work, drive his beloved VW and live acceptably as a 25 year old man.

im typing in hopes that someone out there has suggestions for a known neurosurgeon or whatever the name of a doctor would be that deals with this type of affliction. i realize who im typing to arent all in the quad state NY/NJ/PA/CT area and thats fine, thank you for reading,, im not very religious in the secular sense, but wholeheartedly believe in the power of prayer. i believe its one of the factors that brought myself back from near death 4 years ago and can hopefully be extended for my friends case.

thanks for anything you can offer, please feel free to email me, thankyou thankyou, -brian
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Try John's Hopkins..

They are supposely one of the best hospitals in the nation. They have the best doctors around. Its located in Baltimore, MD. Sorry to hear about your friends.

<a href="http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/" target="_new">Link!</a>

Ken
Old 11-22-2005, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Email me and I'll give you the name of a good doctor.

jimlaurak at yahoo.com
Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 AM

Default Absolutely John's Hopkins. My father had a brain tumor 2 years ago and we tried very hard to get

his HMO to allow us to go to John's Hopkins for the procedure. In the end they denied the request and the surgery was done at the VCU medical center in Richmond, which suprisingly enough has one of the best neurosurgeons in the country on staff.

I would try as hard as possible to get into John's Hopkins.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

While an institution may have a good repuation, you must know the reputation of the doctor.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Definitely Johns Hopkins...

Dr Ben Cardin is a world renowned neurosurgeon. He deals with special cases most of the time. If it were me, I would at least contact his office. If it is not something he directly deals with, his office would give you the name of someone they trust. And I would take their referral above anyone elses.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you need to find a doctor you trust, to recommend a neurosurgeon you trust

im sorry, but it seems you believe this to be a severe case, and while i know you and others who will answer are well intentioned, this is not advice you should get on the internet from a bunch of people you've not met...

that said, i will keep you friend my thoughts for a speedy recovery (i dont really pray as im not religious)
Old 11-22-2005, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I suffering a TBI - Traumatic Brain Injury from an auto accident in 1999 after coming out of coma

and checking out of Shock Trama Hospital, I went to Kernan Hospital outside of Baltimore for rehabilitation (physical and mental)...They have the best Neurosurgeons and Doctors on staff...

I recoved quickly (left within 2 weeks) but they have people who's rehabilitation will be for a life time...

This IS the place to check out...chick their link!<ul><li><a href="http://www.kernanhospital.com/kernan/">http://www.kernanhospital.com/kernan/</a</li></ul>
Old 11-22-2005, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default depending on what your friend is suffering from he has a HUGE number of hospitals [edited]

and docs at his disposal.

My company works with neuro and ortho surgeons in some 35 hospitals in the NJ/PA/MD/VA area.

The pre-eminent neuro centers in the various states *to my knowledge* are:
Thomas Jefferson - philly [one of the top 3 anerysm centers in the country]
John Hopkins/University of MD - bmore
Pennisula Regional - Salisbury
INOVA (Main Campus) - Fairfax
Georgetown -DC *cant believe I forgot them!*

The reason I listed hospitals instead of surgeons is because most surgeons have priviledges in multiple hospitals. Surgeon's skill is QUITE important, but after the surgeon is done - the skill of the staff in various step down units are VERY important.

*disclaimer* my company does not work w/ TJ or INOVA.
any surgeons I recommend would be guys I work w/ on a daily basis, trust - would recommend to family.
I would rather not make surgeon recs online. email me if you have a question.

what is your friend suffering from? there are almost 100 causes...

PS: washingtonian magazine had a survey of the top docs in their respective fields based on the opinions of other docs - results were printed in the july edition of the mag.<ul><li><a href="http://www.washingtonian.com/health/topdocs05/main.asp">washingtonian subscription req'd</a></li></ul>
Old 11-22-2005, 07:09 PM

My wife probably treated you while there

Quick Reply: [medical] -off topic- Please read, Please help