ACNA...funding terrorism

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was that how much they were?

That's crazy. I had a generous older brother buying me a few of those.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:55 AM

Wow, that does suck. I tend to bring several of my own beers for that reason.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It is actually straight forward and doesn't cause any trouble, even with the steering lock...

The worst part that could happen is if the gearbox snaps into gear which is highly unlikely; just keep anything off the seats so there is no chance it could travel towards the gear lever.

Quite honestly I've done it plenty of times with RWD cars just using a tow dolly and never had even the slightest problem.
I went so far to call my buddies in Germany who own a Porsche asking about it and the response led to this setup.

The downside is that the towing vehicle has to work a little harder on its brakes, but that's about it.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 AM

Default Here's my story for the weekend...

Since I had never run with Audi Club, they placed me in the beginner run-group and with that, I had to do morning exercises over at the Lightening Course's parking lot. Well, I hadn't bedded in my PFC01s, so I was a little nervous about doing 40mph emergency stops so I took it easy on the lane-change activity. I had fun doing full circle drifts around the wet skipads. I saw all the Audi's driving around in round circles and wondered how that was possibly fun.

Oh well, the morning was over and we got to get out on track. I already had 2 days at Thunderbolt so I knew the track pretty well. Eric got in my passenger seat after doing his morning instructor session so he had a pretty good idea of the track too. I went out first but we quickly caught the end of the pack. The speed deviation was pretty great. I think I passed the entire run-group in the first session. We finished up that session and before the next afternoon session, Thomas, the head instructor comes up to me and tells me we need to move me up to Yellow for the next session. I move to Yellow for the last session and don't think I got passed once. Nearing the end of the session, I was pulling up to the R8 but unfortunately there was traffic and the checkered went down.

Tuesday night was fun, we all went to the banquet at the hotel and got some drinks. The President of the ACNA spoke a little and it was a pleasant evening. I got a good night's rest.

Wednesday, we again went out and I took it easy for the first session. Eric signed me off for solo in the second session, and put two wheels off twice at T5 (woops)...Goldie gave me a stern talking to and I went back out with Eric (was the original plan) for my 3rd and final session (skipped the last session). Eric was a great instructor and only interjected when he knew I was doing something absolutely wrong. I usually let out a "f**k" under my breath before he even had a chance to say anything.

Eric drove my car for one of the instructor sessions (and didn't cord my tires and destroy my brakes ) and we were running down E36 M3s on r-comps with my car on street tires...he really drove the **** out of the car...gave me a lot of ideas and showed me what the car could really do in the hands of someone skilled.

Also, as for using the turn-signals for passing (instead of point-bys), I guess that wasn't a problem because I never had to use them
Old 10-24-2008, 06:04 AM

Default I think Eric did that

haha
Old 10-24-2008, 06:14 AM

Thats called track savvy. :P
Old 10-24-2008, 06:17 AM

Default Ok, was just curious. Have seen it done either way but thought taking the wear off the driveline

would be preferred. Although, I see many RVs towing all-wheel drive vehicles with just a tow bar. I mean, would a trailer be that much more?
Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 AM

Default I'm hoping at VIR they don't make a big stink about the turn signals again.

Using the arm is fine with me, oh and my turn signals don't work in the racecar. :P
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Just make you don't get passed ;)

Some people used point-bys...some didn't...it wasn't really mandatory
Old 10-24-2008, 06:28 AM

Default And I doubt it will be but I was the only one in April (IIRC) that didn't have working blinkers. :/

Its no big deal really. Being in the Advanced group and having a (when stock) 150 hp car no matter how good the handling is, I will get passed a lot. Just don't slow me down going up the esses.

Quick Reply: ACNA...funding terrorism