ACNA...funding terrorism

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considered but disregarded.....it is mainly the car's position on the track that usually indicates

the passing site as well as the track design; not so much the signaling method.
For us it was rather easy because all but one passing zones were on the right site (excluding the instructor runs of course).

It may seem a bit of a contradiction using the opposite site but so is playing any musical instrument from a point of being left or right handed. The human brain can adapt to these "small challenges" within seconds and maintain the learned objectives.

I need to mention the importance of the green students as the prime run group to apply such measurements since they are having the steepest learning curve ahead and the least track experience; if the green students would have objected than we would have used hand signals again but that was not the case, actually it was the opposite.

Furthermore, asking the passing car to move off the line to pass is a matter of track courtesy since there is no competition involved at any level. It was also vital for some of the first timers on the track for not being forced to go off the line, it helped them to achieve their goals for learning the track while not being asked to apply more multi-tasking.

Overall, it worked out great :-)
Old 10-24-2008, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I 2nd Tomas's (Rally_nutcase) post below...

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/midatlantic/msgs/256124.phtml">ain't a race</a>.

What I read from racers:
In a race, your game face is ON; in a DE, game face is OFF.

Tho many often allow their game face to come ON during a DE, myself included. But I've gotten better at keeping it OFF.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I remember my first time at VIR giving a point by on the front straight and almost running...

... off the left side of the track at the kink!

I like the idea of keeping your hands on the steering wheel. And I have blinkers!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:15 AM

isn't the kink a little late to be giving point bys? At least in an novice/intermediate group?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not SUPPOSED to be a race, but saying it does not make it so.

As I move up run groups, I end up running with a LOT more people who are (contrary to rules) timing their laps or otherwise hellbent on running without interference from slower cars.

The last event I ran, I got bumped up to "red" and while I ran completely courteous and swift laps, I was on track with Ferrari 360s, 430s, and Porsche GT3s and a GT2. So I could not help but hold people up at times. It was not always comfortable.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 AM

Default I know this is going against the grain of the whole driver education concept

but at a certain point, driving around a track un-timed just isn't interesting anymore...you need to know that the laps you are putting down are actually improving and not just staying stagnant...I think its a necessary at a certain point to time your laps in order to determine if you are improving or whether you need to work on certain areas of your drive.

Just my opinion...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agree timing is helpful for learning. Thus why I do my timing via video, post event.

I think Greg may be talking about people with in-car timer. Timer that gives instant feedback between laps while still on track. I think club rules prohibits those.

If I have ability to process/cull out video based timing after I'm off the track, in between sessions... that would be more 'instant gratification' helpful. I'm get'n close w/ my MacBook. But then I also have to be really careful that I don't get 'red misted' between sessions, and get my **** in trouble in the following sessions trying to break my own time record. And can understand if organizer would feel that's more risk then they are willing to accept, and disallow that.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM

Default oh yes...I don't think the in-car instant timing is beneficial for non-professional drivers

but a lap time after the session based on lap, will allow experienced drivers to know what they did right and what they did wrong...

I really don't like doing it via video since its not 100% accurate...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, at my level... it's accurate enough.

my vid camera is 30 frame/sec. That's ~0.03 seconds per frame.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I totally agree, and I'm getting to that point myself. BUT once you get there, you crave...

... "clean" laps, and that's just not something you can expect in a DE especially given that the class groupings are based on experience and not on car speed. So you get a 85HP Porsche 914 running with a ZR-1. Believe me, I KNOW that I am often the guy that screws up someone's clean lap. The blood gets pumping, and it shows on track.

I think there's room for something similar to a time-attack, but perhaps with less competition. You just can't have cars running door to door at speed unless they have full roll cages, harnesses, fire suits, etc. I think people lose sight of the fact that we're doing something dangerous, and neither the drivers nor the cars are configured for the kind of impacts that can happen on track.

Quick Reply: ACNA...funding terrorism