Any (good) advice on negotiating starting salaries?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BTDT, as an ME about 2 years ago...

...there was a website out there which showed all the average starting salaries, based on degree, for those fresh outta school. My soon-to-be-boss (at the time) asked me how much I'd like to make. I mentioned that I read the average salary blah, blah was this much and that I'd be comfortable there for a start. He offered 1800 less, which I took, but he met me at the average 3 months later.
On another note, my comp. has offered to pay for 1/2 the cost to get a masters after I get my PE (elegible to take test spring '06)..I'm gonna jump on it. I can definetly verify what everyone has been telling me about going back to school; its reeeeally tough. :/
On yet another note, I am a consulting engineer, as well...our company does accident analysis and reconstruction or 'forensic engineering'. It's a great career; reverse-engineering (good for me because i'm not very creative), and every day/case is different! It's like CSI without the bodies (most of the time). :P
Well, good luck on the interviews. BTW, if you haven't, take the FE while the material is still fresh in your head...trust me. :P
Old 01-16-2005, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

After some experience and a PE license, maybe...where are YOU workin and are they hiring!?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ..decent article/website...

<a href="http://www.graduatingengineer.com/futuredisc/mechanical2.html">Article on MEs</a>

<a href="http://www.graduatingengineer.com/interview/salaries.html">Aome Average Starting Salaries</a>

<a href="http://www.graduatingengineer.com/">www.GraduatingEngineer.com</a>
Old 01-16-2005, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks for the info. Was the raise 3 months later part of a planned

evaluation or was it a surprise and he did it because he was just impressed with you?

how much did you know going in about how much opportunity you had in terms of raises and growth salary wise?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and BTDT means?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the man doesn't waste any time )
Old 01-16-2005, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm just helping him aim high... i certainly don't make that much.... yet ;-)
Old 01-16-2005, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its a smaller, privately owned company...

..so the boss and I sat down and just chatted for about 2 hours. He did mention that I'd basically be a helper for the established engineers and gradually get my own cases as I got a feel for things. He also mentioned that "we'll bump up your pay as you get established and start billing hours" (makin money instead of being a defecit). We did talk about getting a PE and Masters..and that salaries increase 'substantially' when you get your in-state PE. We never did talk numbers until he made me the initial offer...but since then I've seen the payroll books and my interest in continuing with the comapny has only increased.

As far as the raise(es), he dropped into my office one morning and said "were very happy with your work here so we're gonna give you more money..cause we got you cheap for your experience"..it wasn't planned at all. I guess that qualifies as an evaluation. Now we (I) get semi-annual letter evaluations. :P

I'd do some research online to get a decent idea of what is average and fair. Then throw some ideas around when they bring up the subject. I think what helped me was that I showed in interest in the work as opposed to the money; I'd recommend the same route for you. At the same time, I don't usually thing taking thier first offer right away is a good idea...unless it is close to, equal to, or GREATER than you expected. :P Good luck again.

BTDT = Been there, done that.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:14 PM
Elder Member

great sig! love family guy
Old 01-16-2005, 07:25 PM
Elder Member

been there done that

Quick Reply: Any (good) advice on negotiating starting salaries?