Bought my brand new car in MD... Do I need a VA inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my brand new car in MD... Do I need a VA inspection?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

YES. Any car registered in VA needs to be inspected.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think you do (nevermind, the end says you do need an inspection if purchased out of state)

I believe the answer is no. See below from the state police URL. However, I have heard that while you don't need one, it is common to get pulled over for not having one, and that is why VA dealers put one on the car, even though it is not needed. When you get pulled over for not having the inspection sticker, you need to go through the explanation that the car is new, and doesn't need one, and to leave you alone.

- - - - -
Do new vehicles need to be submitted for the annual safety inspection?

New vehicles purchased in Virginia that have been inspected in accordance with an inspection requirement of the manufacturer or distributor are not required to undergo the initial annual safety inspection. Placement of an inspection sticker on the windshield of a vehicle will be at the automobile dealer's option. Such inspection by the automobile dealer shall be deemed to be the first inspection for meeting the purpose of § 46.2-1158 Code of Virginia. However, these vehicles must be reinspected within twelve months of the month of the first inspection or purchase and at least once every twelve months thereafter and display a valid inspection decal. If an inspection sticker is not placed on the windshield by the manufacturer or distributor, the owner should maintain documentation within the vehicle to show when the vehicle was purchased and to serve as a reference for future requirements for inspection.

While the new language in Section 46.2-1157 states that "an inspection sticker may be affixed to the vehicle as required by Section 46-2-1163.", for several practical reasons, an approval sticker should be affixed to the vehicle. The reasons are as follows:

Once the purchaser drives the vehicle off the lot, it no longer meets the definition of a new vehicle as defined in Section 46.2-1500 of the Code of Virginia. Not if, but when the purchaser is stopped by law enforcement for not displaying an inspection sticker, and returns to the selling dealership for a sticker, the vehicle will be subject to an official state inspection like any other used vehicle. This obviously could lead to customer dissatisfaction.
The affixing of the sticker to the new vehicle will prevent the vehicle from being unnecessarily stopped by law enforcement.
In the absence of a sticker, there will be no visual reminder to the driver when the vehicle needs to be re-inspected. If the vehicle is not re-inspected as required by Section 46.2-1158 of the Code of Virginia, the operator would be subject to a traffic summons.
The affixing of an official inspection sticker to all "new vehicles" will be to the mutual benefit of the automobile dealer, the customer, and law enforcement.

If a vehicle is purchased out-of-state and then registered in Virginia, it must be inspected once it is registered in this state.<ul><li><a href="http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm#FAQSafety">http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm#FAQSafety</a</li></ul>
Old 08-16-2007, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i'm a VA resident, and when i bought my car from Tischer, i needed to get a VA inspection
Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

another fyi - I bought my S4 from PA but registered in VA w/ inspection.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends where it's registered...if in MD, hells yea.