The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Summit this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of school was that? I've never heard of driving schools.....

where you're timed....not BMW, not Audi, not Benz, not NASA, not Car Guys, not FATT, none....period.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Ditto. "I want to have a brake kit first" or "I'm waiting to install a sway bar" is a lame excuse 2.

Incidents rarely happen with novices because they stay within their driving limits and have the fear of damaging their car. That's a good thing.

Advanced students on the other hand tend to forget where their limits are and push things closer to the car's limits when they get red mist in their eyes and start "racing" after other cars.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

i dont remember the exact details but it was at summit point
Old 10-20-2004, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 1/3

is the brake comment directed towards me?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I've tried that. I just get lame excuses.

My favorite so far is from an A4 guy who claims to have too many miles on his car (no mechanical problems, just too many miles). You'd be surprised at the number of excuses that I'm getting from fellow S-car owners, who you'd think would be more likely to want to have some fun and have the means to do so. It's pretty depressing, especially coming from such a track-happy place like DC. I'm spending a lot of time working on the situation here, but it's just a very slow process with so many "fun conservatives." :-(

Either way, I'm headed out there this weekend to have some fun. I think that there will actually be more BMW guys at our ACNA event, if that tells you anything. I'm going to have to start hanging out with those guys more often if I can't get the Audi crowd to come around.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Rest In Peace

Default I was at the event where Dave wrecked. I took pictures of his car for him

and spoke to him afterwards. I even picked up some souveneirs for him just in case he wanted some of the plastic bits that flew off of the car. Hell, I've even seen the in-car footage as well as the frame-by-frame pictures from the professional photographer who happened to be standing right there. It most certainly was *not* a timed or competitive event. If he was denied coverage, it wasn't because of that.

In fact, I've been to a good number of DEs, and none of them have been timed or competitive, and everyone I know who has had problems has been able to get insurance to cover it. Plus, track incidents rarely result in bodily injury. Try getting that kind of benefit from an accident on the street.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Were you there? Because if not, plenty of us were there who could pretty much describe the incident

and the event to you.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/midatlantic/msgs/45084.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/midatlantic/msgs/45084.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 10-20-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Feeling a little guilt? ;)

No, it wasn't directed to any one in particular. I remember seeing some posts like "I don't have enough HP yet" and such.

At least you've gone to at least one event.

It's just too bad people miss out on such fun plus you learn something to boot.

For me, it's a great little mini out of town vacation.....2 days of driving, hanging out with friends, and no worries on my mind.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Sorry for not being clearer. I was talking about the one night scenario.

I'm sure that life insurance policies exclude all sorts of activities that are deemed dangerous, including racing. But I assure you that the only way that the claim was denied was because of an express exclusion, not some blanket rule that track incidents are exempt. Car insurance policies are the same way. Exclude if you want to, but absent some exclusion, it's covered.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No guilt, I really enjoyed the time that I went to summit. I will go again, but probably

not to often. It was a great learning experience. I felt like I learned more about my driving ability and my cars ability, then in all my years of driving.

I did feel like I needed better brakes and it felt like there was a lot of wear and tear on the car.

As for more power thats kind of silly unless you have experience driving at the track. I went with my car chipped, it was nice to have that power, but not needed, especially having no track experience. Next time I will put my car in stock mode, with my ability I'd be better off in valet mode.

Quick Reply: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Summit this weekend...