The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Summit this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here's my experience with ins co and DEs.

Maybe I was being TOO pro-active, but I contacted my ins co via email and asked them about this. I used all the right language and DE FAQ excerpts that Marc N. had recommended. Unfortunately, my ins co basically said my car would not be covered for any damage that may occur at a DE for the sole reason that it's 'on a racetrack'. Doesn't matter how, it won't be covered. Kinda sobering, when you hear about how other ppl *cough* M.A. *cough* have been able to get their ins to cover damages.
FYI.. at the time, David from Pro-Imports had the same ins co that I do (still). He was probably told what I was told by the ins co.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default no i wasnt there, but i dont need your description...

i heard from dave what happened and saw his film. but thanks for the off
Old 10-20-2004, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: It most certainly was *not* a timed or competitive event

this is what his insurance told him and what he told me. i was close with dave and thats what he said
Old 10-20-2004, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah thats basically what he was told and in addition...

they said since it was a timed event (so ive heard it wasnt but this is what i heard from dave) it definitely wouldnt be covered
Old 10-20-2004, 12:43 PM

Default From what I've seen, learning how to drive safely won't attract a hoard of ppl.

Yes, it's a great thing to learn, and yes, it saves lives, but some ppl just aren't interested in learning 'to be safer than the norm'. At least, not until they experience a drastic turn of events. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I was attracted to DEs at first, not for the learning potential, but for the opportunity to drive fast in a *controlled environment* AND not have to worry about po-po. :-) Of course, I learned very quick about the safety aspect of it, and it's what *drives* me (pun intended) to attend DEs now.
Too bad we're not wired to want safety first, fun after. Matter of perception, I guess, but it's something many ppl don't realize until they've gone to a few DEs. Go to drive fast and get an adrenaline rush, then realize safety is what you should pay attention to, then realize THAT alone wouldn't have gotten you to attend in the first place.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:48 PM

Default Haha....I think that's how all of us got started.

"Heck, I have a fun car. I'm going to have fun with it where it's safe and where I don't have to worry about cops."
Old 10-20-2004, 12:51 PM
Rest In Peace

I'm guilty of that also. :-)
Old 10-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Rest In Peace

Default His insurance company could tell him that the Sun revolved around the Earth.

Doesn't mean that he has to acquiesce. If he dropped the claim based on that, I feel bad for him and wish that he would have pushed a little harder. IIRC, he was with State Farm, which is a great company for your first claim - they'll pay it and promptly drop you, but at least they pay w/o question. I'm surprised that he had any difficulty at all.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:56 PM

Default hey was that one referred to me......

haha only reason i didnt go is because i have a messed up wheel bearing, and maybe sumtin up wit my cv-joint...and i gotta get an oil change and such
Old 10-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Rest In Peace

;-) Yeah, you made the mistake of asking first. Of course they're going to try and discourage you.

Quick Reply: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Summit this weekend...