The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Summit this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 05:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The same thing happens in an E36 when it flips...

which is why you hear very little about E36 pilots getting killed when their cars flip.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Rest In Peace

It's just a form of hazing. I took it pretty hard from those guys until I put some c/os on.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Having fun was the main attraction...

but lately, the number of young drivers killing themselves and their passengers helps to promote the safety aspect. One major reason that I hear keeping people from participating is the insurance aspect... associated with car damage. Next, wear and tear on the car and then "I don't want to drive fast" (many people can't seem understand how the beltway and a race track are very similar).
Old 10-21-2004, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you can always buy supplemental DE insruance
Old 10-21-2004, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default E36 sucks in rollovers...

The B pillar completely collapses... that's y a rollbar is going in mine during the winter....
Old 10-21-2004, 05:46 AM

For recreational purposes, yes you can in MD, but not for VA owner's
Old 10-21-2004, 05:51 AM

Default I think some people came to a conclusion too quickly...

But part of that was to seriously re-enforce the safety aspect to the students - and instructors. One can't say whether it worked, but we had no further incidents. I would have preferred to ask the instructor to talk about the accident and describe how he reacted to the scenario, wrong or right...
Old 10-21-2004, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Same goes for the Integra...

I mean.. come on now. Some people need to reserve their comments. People were bashing that driver and his abilities while he was standing RIGHT there.

If I were him, I would have been real pissed and chewed them out. People saying you suck and that youre totally out of control is not something you want to hear right after you just wrecked your car. In this instance, I think keeping your comments to yourself or having some tact might be good?

As far as the instructor bashing one... that probably could have been handled better too. They should have had a talk with the instructor (did they?) and determined exactly what happened before they went on ranting.

I know the instructor well, and he is a stand up guy. Like others have said, his car was the least of his worries, even up until dinner. He was totally relieved when he found out the student was not injured. But there are better ways to point out mistakes than to go questioning the driver's skill and ability.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:17 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Sounds like the ACNA needs a playbook to work off of in these situations.

I'm reading all this mumbo jumbo, and while there are some good suggestions on how things could have been handled differently, one common thread seems to stick out. The organizers and instructors dealt with this as it happened, and did their best to make a learning experience out of this for the students. There seems to be some disagreement on exactly what was the best way to go about all of this.

Since these things DO happen from time to time, perhaps the ACNA should coordinate some sort of post accident "speech" that doesn't leave instructors and organizers dealing with the issue "off the cuff".

Take this as a concerned ACNA member who's seen a few of these incidents "unfold" on these forums in just the same way this one is.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahhh!! The good old days!

it definitely wasn't the same at summit this weekend with you, Wolfie, Simon, and Ando. :-\

-KJ

Quick Reply: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly from Summit this weekend...