Has anyone replaced their Cam Chain Tensioner without doing a complete timing belt job?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced their Cam Chain Tensioner without doing a complete timing belt job?

I've read mixed reviews on whether to change the tensioner via the instructions linked below. Decided enough people have accomplished it without doing the complete timing belt job for me to try it. Does anyone have any experience and maybe want to lend a hand/supervise in the up coming weeks? Also if anyone has the Cam Tensioner Tool I could borrow that would be great. I can provide food and all the beers you can drink.<ul><li><a href="http://ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/index4.html">http://ca-va.org/tech/camtensioner/index4.html</a</li></ul>
Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 PM

Default No, but both jobs needed to be done anyway.

That being said, there is very little overlap in the two procedures. You can do one without the other.

I would offer to help, but without OldManTan's help, I wouldn't have survived!
Old 09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

agreed, problem is I did my timing belt job 10,000 miles ago
Old 09-16-2008, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default On the 2.7, the two jobs are *almost* independent of each other.

And you don't need to <i>remove</i> the tensioner...just pick it up, wiggle the old half-moon and gasket out, clean up the old glue, and reinstall the new ones.
I'm assuming the 1.8T head is very similar to the 2.7T head(s)...YMMV.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Default I must be missing your point somehow.

The only part of the cam tensioner job that involves the timing belt is when you set the cams into the service position. You don't even have to untension it.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default sorry, maybe I should of explained myself more...

my cam adjuster is completely shot, I have terrible rattle on the back side of the valve cover from the cam timing chain hitting the top of the valve cover. I was told removing the intake cam and not removing the exhaust cam is bad for your engine. If I remove the exhaust cam it will loosen the timing belt. The tech write-up I posted in my first post involves changing the cam tensioner by only removing the intake cam.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

the adjuster itself is shot, so it has to come out.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the camshaft tensioner tool... but if you are buying a new tensioner then you'll get a free

one already attached to the new part. :-)
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 PM

Default Ahh, OK, there's our disconnect.

I missed the part about only removing one of the cams. I think removing one and not the other isn't the problem, it's just making sure they're in proper position once they go back in. But anyway, back to the job...

Yes, the way we did it, we moved both cams, but only "tilted" them forward just enough to remove the tensioner. The front ends barely move from their resting spots. This way requires two people to do. We each worked a cam free, then I held them in place while OMT got the tensioner out. Doing it this way yourself would require the dexterity of a...uhh...well I don't know, but a lot!

To keep the timing belt in sync, we put a couple of zip ties to secure it to the sprocket. But just tilting the cams forward, it won't put enough slack on the timing belt to move it on the lower end, and your zip ties keep in place on the sprocket.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

absolutcq20v replaced mine while Tomasz did the TB, so not sure.

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their Cam Chain Tensioner without doing a complete timing belt job?