Heads up to the guys planning to do timing belt on 2.7T engines: T-Belt Tensioner Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post, but for the sake of having information out there...

I've had the piston in the timing belt tensioner blow a seal in my 1.8T. It causes a rattle that's a bit different than the ones posted above. That happened after about 15K miles of having the new one in.

I've also twice had a different problem with my 2.7T that results in this the diesel sound mentioned above. The tensioner LEVER slipped off of the shaft that sticks out of the back of the tensioner pully/roller. When it slips off, the belt loosens and the engine sounds like a diesel.

I get to take apart my allroad for a 3rd time now!! I may have followed a DIY without detailed instructions on how to set the belt tensioning system just right before patching the car back together.

This next time, I'll be following the ecs tuning instructions...

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edoc/...34-10-2012.pdf

See page 21 and 22
Old 10-25-2012, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 70vette
Boy can I relate. But mine went in about 20 miles. I did the belt all to the instructions, replaced everything. Got it all installed, good tight tension on the belts, bolts torqued to spec, and buttoned it up. Turned it over and let it run about 10+ minutes getting the antifreeze in. Shut off. waited 5+ minutes. started it let it idle some more. Got ice cold air from heater and the water temp is rising. So we took it for a low speed spinn through the neighborhood. Gas light goes on so we head for the gas station. Got on the highway and went 2 miles got off and back home; it's a nice loop. Everything seemed wonderful.. I was so afraid I set the belt wrong because I had to tink Bank 1 belt gear to get the belt on not even a half tooth and then tinked it back like others have reported. We parked the car. I started to clean up the garage and heard a low hiss. Drove me nuts tracking it for 20+ minutes while I'm cleaning. Tracked it down to the coolant tank. I didn't 'click' it. So I clamped it and started the car up to make sure I got heat and vacuum in the radiator and made sure the level was good. What I heard was unbelielvable. Makes this sound like a lullaby. Shut it off. Found this post. Went out and pulled it all apart again and the tensioner piston had fallen and the belt was loose. TALK ABOUT P.O.ed...

I got the timing belt kit from blauparts.com. I am 'negotiating' to get replacements. I tried to save $1500 by doing it myself and get the kit for $330 but I guess I should have gotten the OOOO parts or paid the $1800 and let them do it...

Still not back together yet, waiting for parts...
How many bent valves? Might be worth pulling the VC and checking everything before getting too far into it.