Hello from Chicago. Buying a car in PA on Saturday, but there seems to be a problem with title...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Chicago. Buying a car in PA on Saturday, but there seems to be a problem with title...

According to PA DMV title needs to be transfered officially, that is at DMV office, but they close at 12pm on Saturdays. I arrive to Harrisburg,PA at 2pm....how else can I finalize this? Buying from private party.

Btw, here in IL, when selling a car, as owner, all I have to do is sign the title and hand it over to a guy buying the car, so I'm not familiar with how that process works there. I'll be driving it back the same day so they tell me I can get temporary plaes or something like that for a drive back, also at DMV, but what when they are closed?? Help me out.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hello, nice sig. There are a few folks from PA that post on here, so hopefully

they'll chime in and get you the information that you're looking for.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks! Hopefully, though I contacted the seller as well so he'll look into it.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've bought a car from PA before, it didn't work that way

I bought my Honda from a dealer in PA. I was handed a signed, notarized title which I used to register the car in VA.

Unless there's a lien on the car, the PA DMV really shouldn't care. Your only issue is the plates. Oftentimes, the seller will leave the plates on the car for the buyer until the buyer can get the car registered. It's a risk, but not a huge one. If your seller did that, then you could drive the car home.

And as far as I know, you can only get temporary plates from the state where you intend to register the car (IL), not from the state that the car is being sold from (PA). You may want to check w/the IL DMV to find out what documentation you'll need to get temporary plates. I suspect they'll need the title, so you may be in a catch 22. If they don't require title, but perhaps a bill of sale, then get the temporary plates before you leave for your trip, then put them on the car for your drive back.

Hope this helps.

-Jim
Old 02-22-2006, 09:10 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Contact any number of independent auto tag agents in PA.

They charge some extra fees, but they will process the paperwork for you, and they will be open on Saturdays to take care of everything. They should be able to give you the full story.

Selling a car in PA is just a matter of signing the title. Your issue is you need a temporary transit tag or something of that sort. Hopefully one of these auto tag places will be able to shed some light on the issue. I scanned the PA DMV website, and I don't see any reference to a temporary transit tag for out of state purchasers, so Jim might be right...you might need the signed title to register the car in your state first, then once you have the proper paperwork and tags from your state, you can pick up the car and drive it back.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks guys....I talked to IL dmv first and they said I would have to obtain temp. tags from PA...

so I understand that but I'm unclear as to whether the seller can only sign the title and hand it over to me or do we have to do that in the presence of authority/notary?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you can get temp plates from the state you bought the car in...at least we did in VA

it had temp VA tags, registered in PA
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On a used car? I know you can do this on a new car.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You don't have to sign the title together

The seller can sign the title prior to your arrival. His notary will require that he sign in the notary's presence, but that doesn't concern you.

Your signature should not require a notarization, only the seller's. The reason for this is because the IL DMV will need confirmation that the seller's signature is authentic.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, on a used car... maybe it was illega, but we did it, ha

Quick Reply: Hello from Chicago. Buying a car in PA on Saturday, but there seems to be a problem with title...