it's official... the 4000 is alive and running on all 5 cylinders once again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it's official... the 4000 is alive and running on all 5 cylinders once again!!!

So after finally giving in and tearing the fuel rail out, I found that the reason the #3 cylinder wasn't firing was because it wasn't getting enough fuel. Yup, the #3 injector was flowing like $hit.

So I sent it off to RC engineering to get cleaned up. $34 later, I found that it was flowing 89 cc... and it's a 440cc injector!!! Yeah, let's just say it made all the difference in the world.

I found the injector last night on my porch when I got home from class at 1030 or so. I immediately started tearing into the car by 11 I had it back together and went for a lil joy ride and was back by 1230...

Car is NOTICABLY faster! Like, wow. Night and day difference from before. Unfortunately, there's a catch. It's still not running totally right <slams head on desk>. It's stumbling at part throttle. I have a feeling that the other injectors aren't flowing 100% correct, and are causing the car to stumble. At WOT it's seemless (and I can spin the tires... WOOOHOOO!), but at part throttle its not too happy.

So, I'm gonna go find myself a strong injector cleaner and run it through the system and see if that helps at all. Hopefully it does, otherwise I'm pulling the other 4 injectors and sending them off to RC again to get redone. At this rate, I shoudl have just bought the damn injectors new instead of used, but ya live and learn I guess.

Regardless, I'm all grins. Unfortunately, the battery was dead when I tried to start it after sitting for a month. That's not good in my book, and has me concerned that the newly installed stereo is draining the battery. We'll see how it goes though. It was nice to drive and bump around in the 'ol girl again. Once I get it fully buttoned up again, I can finally put the A4 back in the garage!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excellent, I can't wait to get the coupe back up and running.

If I can procure a sufficient vehicle (either a pickup or a small trailer to tow w/ the A6), I'll pick up the used engine this week.
If I have a few hours, the right tools, and a helping hand this weekend, I plan on pulling the drivetrain.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I got two helping hands for ya! I'm around all weekend - just let me know when.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sweet, if I can make something happen for Sun I'll give you a ring.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good luck with it tony... hope you get 'er goin'!

You pickin' the motor up from Nick?

FWIW... one of those motors easily fits in the back of an A4 (don't ask me how I know this :-P) so I'd assume you'd be able to squeeze it into the back of your A6 w/ little issue... that or find someone with an avant and it's just as easy.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default just make sure you have him wash his hands first...

there was some sorta talk from him about 'putting 4 on a floor' or something to that extent
Old 07-18-2007, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Think two strong guys can get it in there w/out a chiropractic bill?

I might just as soon borrow the folk's pickup...no worry about spilled fluids, dinging the paint, etc...just rain on the way home. :P It's only about a 30 min trip, though.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default my buddy and i were able to lug the short block out of my A4 pretty easily...

didn't have the head, flywheel, exhaust mani or intake mani on it though.

I'd say it's doable, but if you can get a pickup, that'd be a better/easier option than trying to shoehorn it in the trunk!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yea, I'm buying a longblock...and then some. Pickup it is. :P
Old 07-18-2007, 12:28 PM

My fiance is a Chiropractor ;-)

Quick Reply: it's official... the 4000 is alive and running on all 5 cylinders once again!!!