Legal help needed: MD MVA is holding my registration stickers..

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legal help needed: MD MVA is holding my registration stickers..

They say that I haven't had insurance on my car since it was registered? How the hell did I get it registered then? They have a non insurance flag for $5729.00 on my registration and said it's already gone to the state collection agency. I went through this when I bought the car when they had it confused with my other audi that I had cancelled the insurance on, but this fine matches my current car's tags..I've had my insurance company fax proof of insurance 3 times since then, within two years(cut rate insurance, I've since switched).. What are my options?
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Have your previous insurance carrier fill out form FR-19 and take it over to MVA

They can list the dates of effective coverage and you walk that over to MVA and have them remove the fine. It's not difficult to get this removed, if you truly had insurance.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default FR-19 has already been faxed 3 times The problem is my agent is an allstate agent

and I was covered by MAIF. He apparently is a broker for the state. But he writes all the policies on Allstate letter head..The MVA tried to look up my policies through allstate and of course the numbers didn't match and I told them I had MAIF. I called the company I make payments to and they faxed the FR-19..3 times..I've walked in there with the fax but they are saying the state insurance people have to remove the fine?
Old 04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The insurance people (AKA MAIF) have to remove the fine? That's the dumbest thing I ever heard

whoever told you that at the MVA is a bumbling idiot.

You should have a MAIF policy number and a corresponding Allstate number. The Allstate policy number may be much harder to find as I'm sure when they underwrite the high-risk policies that are MAIF bound, the MAIF number supersedes.

Speak to another agent or take it to the board of appeals. Walk back in there with the completed FR-19 form. The MVA administrator (there's one on site at each office) is who you should speak to. If not, then file an appeal and escalate the issue. MAIF didn't levy the fine, therefore MAIF can't remove the fine.

There has to be a way to correlate insurance coverage and payments for the time period in question that you are being fined. Whatever is on the the FR-19 must be verifiable by whomever completed the form.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry..meant the STATE has to remove the flag..It's already been sent to collection..

since they gave me tags 2 years ago with no insurance apparently..