Merky Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merky Coolant

Well problems with the coolant leak got worst. After p/u the car from the dealership (on the 15th), I checked my coolant level today and found that not only was it low but also merky in color, kinda chocolate like. I assumed that when the dealership replace the coolant thermostat it should have stopped the coolant slow leak problem. I'm not happy that this situation got worst and would like some recommendation.
If someone can tell me some realistic pricing (parts and labor)on an engine swap for a S4 '01 that would really help my options.
Thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Merky Coolant

If it is merky chances are that they put some dye in it to find your leak. You want to swap in an engine because of a coolant leak? If it is still leaking, take it back and have it fixed right. What dealer did you go to?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:14 PM

Default OK that makes sense since I never took a look at it when p/u.

This has been an on going problem where I was having a slow coolant leak within two to three weeks of refilling the coolant tank. Another thing started to occur where the low oil engine light came on. I took it to HBL but after your good comment on the dye I want to reflect that Matt F. has been extremely helpful and we are working diligently to figure these issues. Hopefully your right about the dye and this will calm my already stressed out heart and nerves. My only concern right know is that I notice a low coolant (below minimal) before warming up the engine.
Thanks a MIL
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There's some competent techs there.......

ask if it's oil & coolant mixing, you may need an oil cooler/heat exchanger. I also take it they've checked your after-run pump?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:27 PM

Default Matt thanks. Not precisely sure what they have checked the only things that

they have mention doing is a visual check (i guess they have x-ray vision) and pressure testing (coolant line not sure if something else)besides replacing the coolant thermostat. I offered AoA today to pay Induktion out of my pocket and have you guys determine what they problem is. They where very opposed and said it was up to Mike (service manage) decision. Is the tech guy your talking about the guy that's been there 15+ years and his father used to work there also? If I can get his resolve soon this puppy will be at your shop soon. I want to get a bunch of stuff done such as Hose Kit. I'm hoping I do not have the same problem that Ed had on his S4. Have you seen CJ and/or Marty at the track?
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Banned

Default Man......I haven't been to the track in a long time.....

And I haven't really seen CJ lately either, but I think our wives have gone out together a couple times recently though.

Yea, Ed's engine was an odd one, I hate to think there's more than one with the same symptoms.

Yea, the tech I'm talking about is the same one. I've been to a few schools with him from back in the day, he's pretty cool. Next time you talk to them, ask them for more specifics, try to determine if there's coolant & oil mixing, and if it's happening in the coolant? Ask if they've replaced that oil cooler, and torqued it down correctly.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 PM

Got it and thanks. I'lll keep you posted
Old 07-30-2006, 04:57 AM

Default "Kinda chocolate like" color could be oil....

Check the dip stick. If the oil on the dip stick has a "chocolate" color and is possibly thick and/or bubbly, then you have coolant and oil mixing. Two most common ways that can happen are the oil cooler or the head gasket.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:13 AM
Former Vendor

Default were you following the email list recently of S4 owners with similar problems ?

at least a few of the cars found it was a combination of the rear main seal and the front cranks seal iirc.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:42 PM
Banned

Default Rear main seal plate........

Has an oil and coolant sealing gasket. It could leak oil & coolant between the two.

Quick Reply: Merky Coolant