OT: Pit Bulls in Mont County, MD

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<re-reads your disclaimer in your sig> ;o)
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Agreed. FYI... Fact: Pit bulls are one of the most people-friendly dog breeds available.

It's all in the way you raise the dog. Why do you think many chihuahuas are "mean?" Because people baby them and don't discipline them, so in their doggy mind, they think they're the pack leader.

Ever see The Dog Whisperer?

Bad owner = bad dog.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ding...

I hate how dogs like pits, rotty's, doby's etc... get such a bad name because of bad owners!!!!!

they can all be such sweet dogs if you train them and dont treat them like ****!!!
Old 05-11-2006, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Regardless, the dog was the instrument. Yes, the owner is to blame in a court of law

but don't think for a second that if a dog attacked someone and it's owner was charged, they wouldn't put the dog down.

There are good owners out there with really bad dogs. Yes, even if they raised the dog properly from birth. You actually hit it dead on when you mentioned the dog's territorial instincts. It's the *instincts* that make it at least partially the dog's fault, because they are there no matter what kind of upbringing the dog has. You are making an assumption about the owner of this dog that you know nothing about. What's important here is that you are right when you say bad owners have bad dogs, but your argument is incomplete because the converse is not necessarily true. Good owners CAN have dogs that exhibit bad behavior.

Your gun analogy is also flawed. A gun does not have "instincts", it cannot operate in any way without its owner. As you know, certain dogs, particularly pit bulls, are bred to do a certain task, and even if they are well trained from birth they still have many tendancies of the breed - those instincts are still there. After all, why do you think certain localities have made owning pit bulls illegal? They are a liability, even with proper training.

I really believe many dog owners to be ridiculously overprotective of dogs. The fact is that they are animals, and although many people love to personify them as children or family members, they need to be dealt with when they do something wrong (part of being a good owner, as you mentioned). You're undoubtedly correct when you say it it primarily the owners fault for not having the dog chained up, but the dog still needs corrective punishment, even if the mace in the face isn't the best form for it to take.

Sorry, this whole topic just touched a nerve. To think that if I'm out running on a public street and a dog ran after and attacked me (which has happened before), that according to your argument I should simply stand there and take it as the dog chews on my leg. Perhaps only later going to speak with the dog's owner to get them to do something. Outrageous! If I'm being injured by a dog, I'm going to defend myself taking the necessary action at the moment!

That said, I know that a retaliatory attack on the dog is another story.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well...

yes I do agree with you. thing is, if he is talking about going and macing the dog after the fact it will do no good at all!!! the punishment has to come immediately following the act or it isnt effective. and yes, if a dog attacked me i would defend myself too I dont disagree with you there
Old 05-11-2006, 09:29 AM

Default UPDATE

Contacted the Montgomery County Animal control, home owners association &warned the neighbors.

I agree its the owners fault.

If it gets worse, I'll EAT THE DAMN dog myself. j.k.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default they are illegal simply because it is the reaction to public outcry for it by misinformed and

ignorant citizens...i have known many a pitbull that i wouldnt think twice about leaving alone locked in the bedroom with a two year old, and i have known many a lab that i wouldnt dare turn my back on...pits often get a bad name for them because bad people and/or bad trainers tend to get them either dont raise them properly or purposely feed the characteristics that are their stereotype
Old 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

what happenned btw?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Default 2 incidents

1) She was walking to her car and Pit Bull was barking like crazy. She was scared because he was jumping and could possibly break loose from its leash.

2) She forgot something in her car so went to the car and thats when the pit bull charged after her. She ran towards her home and by the time she opened her storm door, the dog was called by its owner. That was a close call. This could've been worse. It could've been her mother, it could've been her other neighbor's 14-month old kid, etc...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 AM

Default so if the dog bite your family member or gf...

that would be OK? How can you NOT care if the dog bites? The can easily tear a part of the victim's leg/hand muscle. Something has to be done in defense to themselves. Obviously can't carry a gun.

Quick Reply: OT: Pit Bulls in Mont County, MD