Secondary water pump replacement -- Looking for a fair price to change.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Secondary water pump replacement -- Looking for a fair price to change.

My leak is becoming too much to ignore, particularly when it's very hot out.

I would consider a dealer fix (HBL is about 2 minutes away -- meaning no loaner needed) if the price was in the ballpark.

I'm told it should run less than $500 parts+labor. Does that sound right?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Give Induktion a call on price (yeah, I know they are not near where you work)

Mat@induktion is very familiar with the labor needed.

I had mine done around 6 months ago, but it was under warranty, and I don't have price. This secondary water pump seems like a very common failure on the 2.7T.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. For a good shop and the right price, it's worth the effort.

Did you make any progress on that track car?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As to the track car ...

I've been hanging out at Old Dominion Speedway. They have a racing class called U-Car (meaning U can afford it). It is mostly amateurs/novices. The class is normally aspirated, single cam, front wheel drive.

I have someone who will loan me a car next Saturday to race. (Although that is my first day of vacation so I'll probably skip it).

That track car if I want it will cost me about $4k, fully race ready with a cage, all glass and lights removed, racing seat, etc. However, I'd have a hard time telling people that I have a chevy cavalier as my race car. Also, the cage takes out the passenger seat, so I could not take it to VIR/Summit Point.

Finally, I saw a car on Saturday blow a right front tire and went head on into the guard rail, instead of making the necessary turn. It was a hard hard hit, which was no ones fault. This makes me think twice about racing on a 3/8 mile oval track.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I see a joint ownership opportunity here!

Seriously, if you think the U-class would work with shared ownership, I might be interested. The chance to run competitively for a few weekends each year (if it is a very safe environment) would be fun.

I doubt that even a good U-class car would be particularly well-suited to a VIR type event anyway (a lot of stock cars would probably outperform it).

But we could have fun thinking up race team names!

"Intellectual Poverty Racing Team"
Old 06-27-2005, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd definitely be interested in joint ownership

However, the races are short, and there's a fair amount of bumping, so there will likely be some minor body damage each week.

I think the racing is slow enough that the chances of a serious injury is low, and serious damage to the car has not happend in any of the races I watched. As long as we both realize that the car will be subject to a fender-bender, I have no problems.

I sort of got the idea of not buying a U-Car into my head. Now, I have to re-think and get myself psyched up. I'll think about it again, and let you know my thoughts.

Jim
Old 06-27-2005, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let's have lunch and come up with a plan.

Believe me, I'm not expecting this to be my "daily driver"! Seems to me that it's just a crappy car that can make left turns. I doubt that it would even be much of a track car (but that wouldn't stop us from bringing it out to a local track!).

I noticed in the U class rules that it says very little about brakes. I assume that's wide open?

It would be fun finding a car and working on it -- although I'd probably rely on you more than vice versa.

How's Friday look for lunch?
Old 06-27-2005, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Friday is the one day that works this week. Yes, it would be fun to discuss.

I'd be up for something in Springfield again.

Regarding the car, one of the track's sponsors, Convenience Car Care of Manassas, sells prepared U-Cars for about $4k. The owner is the nicest, most honest mechanics/shops I have ever seen. While I'd love to work on the car (and I'm sure we will work to keep it running), I'd rather pay somebody to take out all of the lights, glass, weld in the cage, put in the seat, etc. I just don't have the time.

Jim
Old 06-27-2005, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Let's do it on Friday, then. I'll be driving a rental since my ride will be getting...

... a new auxiliary coolant pump (Curry's $560).

Maybe my rental will be eligible for the U-class racing. I can practice on the Beltway on the way to Springfield.

Of course, on my way home tonight, a CEL popped up. And the car seems to be wandering on the highway.