Skip Barber Driving School - Worth the money? Something closer? and/or stick to PCC gatherings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skip Barber Driving School - Worth the money? Something closer? and/or stick to PCC gatherings?

Just looking to really improve on overall driving skills before considering tracking or the difficult VIR track. It doesn't seem like there are any Summit events until September :-( I would like to go somewhere on the weekends where I can get professional training.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:16 AM

Default I gave Ed the driving school for a Christmas present....

we went out to Laguna Seca for 5 days. You should give him a shout and ask him. He is dying to do it again!

Oh and that school was how he got his SCCA license.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default vir is a pretty easy track to learn...

why do a skippy school to "improve on overall driving skills" before you do a DE? the whole point of DE's is to improve your driving skills...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't be intimidated by VIR; it flows well and is very forgiving...

...and ACNA instructors are, FTMP, great. It's scary at first, but you fall into a groove very quickly. Just do it!! You'll be hooked.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VIR is not a difficult track. There's a reason there is a beginner's group

There is no need to spend the money on a racing school before doing your first DEs with car clubs.
You will do just fine, and there is no rule that says you have to be perfect, or drive your car as fast as possible. We would prefer slower cars out there that are taking the time to learn proper techniques rather than some idiot driving too fast for their skill level and causing trouble.

If you want to do Summit beforehand, there are these two events being put on by the MBZ club, but are open to Audi club members:
"1. On Monday, May 21, we'll be on the Summit Circuit for a one-day performance driving school. This event is being held in conjunction with the Mercedes-Benz Club's national technical event -- StarTech 2007. The technical event will be in Reston from May 18-20. The sponsors asked for a demo day and we added the Summit date for firms like Bridgestone.

The cost is $175 -- that's $50 cheaper than a Friday at The Track! For folks registered for StarTech the cost is $155.

Registration is open and we are, again, accepting PayPal.

For more info and to sign up go to: www.gws-mbca.org

2. On August 4-5 (Saturday and Sunday), we'll be at the Shenandoah Circuit for a two-day school. Info and registration materials will be on the same site in 2 or 3 weeks."
Old 04-10-2007, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My first track experience was a FATT at Summit Point. A good intro, but the ACNA events have been

much better. IMO, VIR has some technical sections, but that's what makes it interesting. You probably won't be going fast enough your first time out for them to be a problem (yes, I know from personal experience).

I think that a Skip Barber-type school would be a lot more enjoyable after a few DEs. I think you could get a lot more out of it if you understand what you're trying to accomplish...instead of trying to learn EVERYTHING the first time you get behind the wheel.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm thinking that's why I would go to a Skippy - to get an SCCA license, and see a remote track.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I really enjoyed & learned from Marian's 1-day beginner curriculum at Summit Pt.

Marian is an elder lady (I think goes by nickname of "grey wolf"). She has a 1 day setup using Jefferson circuit (@ Summit), that's very much geared towards the fresh beginners. Very structured and informative.

During ACNA's Summit Pt event last fall, the entire beginner group was separated from rest of the groups on day 1, and did Marian's class instead. I recently did it again when she set up a 1 day class w/ the Corvette club. Ask around, I think she provides it for a bunch of different clubs.

For my very first event, I was dropped into VIR Grand East course, and it turned out fine. Tho I think a more structured course like Marian's, would have helped my learning process more at the time... NOT that the other way was bad by any means, just that I think her course is even that much better for the fresh beginner.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:38 AM

I would do beginner ACNA events, and then Skip Barber Driving School
Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is a "sink or swim" aspect to your first track event. With the wrong instructor...

... it could be HORRIBLE. My second track event was at VIR and my instructor was a d!ck (b/c his Porsche wasn't running). He had no sympathy for the fact that I didn't even know whether the next turn was a left or a right!

He left after the first session and I had a great fill-in.

Quick Reply: Skip Barber Driving School - Worth the money? Something closer? and/or stick to PCC gatherings?