Washington DC - another real estate advice needed thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington DC - another real estate advice needed thread

I didn't snag any responses from my attempted piggy-back on the previous real estate thread. Apologies for another thread.

I'm contemplating moving in to DC as I will be starting a new job closer in to the city (on the Virginia side) and wouldn't mind the reverse commute and urban living.

However, I don't know all the neighborhoods of DC that well. Any recommendations of which ones to look at, which ones to avoid?

Advantages/disadvantages of living in DC, besides the perceived/actual crime and increase in income tax over VA?

Thanks in advance for any info. I've only lived in this area for 3 years, entirely in VA so my experience is limited.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:30 AM

Default I lived in the Palisades(Macarthur) and absolutely loved it. Car Insurance is horrible there

2x as much.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What size place are you looking at getting? Condo?

Plenty of 1-2-3 bedroom condos around with a reserved parking spot in the gareages.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As far as taxes go....

o VA, DC and MD, Virginia has the overall lowest tax burden of the three.

In DC, NW is the "perceived" safest, but is also quite expesive. SE is the lowest end of spectrum. However, friends of mine bought a row house up in a questionable neighborhood a little over a year ago and the value has already gone up 50% without them doing anything. That area of town is slowly transitioning from ghetto to mini-suburbia, and if you invest in property it'll pay off.

If you like being in, or near the action, check out Roslyn area. There's plenty o places to eat, drink, hang out and you are just across the river from DC.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lots of options that vary widely. You want a garage? You want a yard?

Walk to Metro?
Close to nightlife?
Are you single? (No family/kid issues.)
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I lived there during law school. Great area (but no Metro rail). I lived on Sherrier Pl.

I had a 50cc Honda scooter that got me anywhere I needed to go.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:15 AM

Default You can also check out the murder map to help find an area w/ less murders...

Thanks to absolutcq20v for posting this a few months ago.<ul><li><a href="http://www.burgersub.org/murders2k7.htm">2007 Murders</a></li></ul>
Old 06-20-2008, 06:16 AM

Default very true... that is when I had the S4. never had a parking issue, right out

in front of the house.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would look at g-town (including upper for a quieter neighborhood), dupont, adams morgan

thomas circle, u street, cleveland park, logan circle, capitol hill, and gallery place/chinatown... those are all nw, except capitol hill, and they're all on the expensive side... which areas are you familiar with/have you looked at?
Old 06-20-2008, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Various price points for condos and rental apartments in Washington

I have lived in Washington for almost 12 years, and I still like it despite traffic, crime, taxes, etc. I live in Dupont Circle in NW Washington, and think it's a great close-in location. If I was just coming into town I'd look at the new hip growth areas where there are lots of condos and apartments (and right now a buyer/renters market) in Logan Circle/14th Street, Columbia Heights, and definitely Massachusetts Avenue close to the Verizon Center and Convention Center (Gallery Place/Chinatown). Good locations, new buildings with parking, close to bars, restaurants and Metro. I definitely like the urban life and Blue Dog's suggestion of Roslyn, and other close-in urban areas is also a really good one. Do yourself a favor and get a place with parking. Street parking can be tough depending on the area, your car won't get banged up, and you won't have to troll for parking at the end of your work day. I travel out of town nearly every week for business, so my car stays in the garage and I only drive about 5k miles/year. If you find that you are driving less, you can insure your car for fewer miles. Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply: Washington DC - another real estate advice needed thread