Wow! How young is the Audizine crowd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow! How young is the Audizine crowd?

I just read a thread on there and felt some brain cells die. :-\
And to think, I thought the B5S4 forum was bad.

The subject was braking. I guess everyone moves from B6 brakes ot B5 S4 brakes or something bigger because the "B6's brakes suck"? But the braking issues as I understand them seem like a pad/fluid issue mostly. Big brakes don't make you stop faster! If you're budget minded, upgrade the pads and fluid first if you feel the brakes are that bad. You'll get a noticeable improvement for a whole lot less cost. You don't get the bling though and I can however see people switching for that reason.

-KJ
Old 07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but drilled and slotted big brakes can stop you in 1/2 the distance!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you mean from this link?

<a href="http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56603">http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=56603</a>

hahaha... I give up.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:47 AM

reminds me of why i don't visit that site.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default pretty young as I've found

though i'm about as young as most folks on that forum, so i probably shouldn't talk...as for B6 brakes, yeah they kinda suck...i plan on upgrading at some point to a better setup though I don't know what yet (won't go to a BBK...don't find the cost worth the return)...fluid and pads will probably be where i start, though i may go w/ SS lines and better rotors down the line...i'm going to wait til Audi stops paying for my brakes though...i'm still under warrenty so i'll let them cover it for now ;-)
Old 07-22-2005, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TJ: Motul, SS lines and pads - will I see big improvement for track use?

If so, what pads - prolly only track once in a while. I understand the Motul660 is the way to fly? Thoughts?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Skip the SS lines, go with pads and fluid

Pads are your biggest bang for the buck. SS lines buy you nothing except better pedal feel, they do not buy you better braking. Better fluid only if you're going to the track.

Going with bigger brakes is a more expensive and sometimes cost effective solution. Bigger rotor means more torque applied to the wheels, means you can stop faster. But remember, your ability to stop is limited by traction NOT just your "sucky" brakes. You can go with all the BBKs you want, if you still have sucky tires, you're still not going to stop as well as you could.

-Jim
Old 07-22-2005, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm amazed at how well the stock setup does in my A6

High temp brake fluid with dedicated track pads gives me all of the stopping power I need. Randy Pobst drove my car at VIR much quicker than I can, and much quicker than most people on the track, and there was no brake fade.

I'm sure the rotors were wicked hot, but the track pads did great.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, skip the SS lines...

pads make the biggest difference and you definitely want motul in there! i don't believe in dual use pads for street and track but that's just my personal opinion. I'm not sure what pads are out there for stock S4 calipers anymore. I used to run the Kerr Friction Pads I think. i got them from Curry's back in the day. Call Ed at Induktion also as he may have some suggestions. I'd swap in and out for street and track though.

-KJ
Old 07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i have brand new SS rear lines fo sale.(stoptech)

Quick Reply: Wow! How young is the Audizine crowd?