Yet another reason why not to go to Don Rosen Audi for service:

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another reason why not to go to Don Rosen Audi for service:

My idiot light for low washer fluid has been on for the past few days and I don't have any left at home nor have I had time to stop to buy some. Since I keep a roll of paper towels and window cleaner in the trunk, I have been cleaning with that before driving and only using the washer fluid while driving.

Here's what happened last night:

I happen to leave work at a decent hour last night (1/30/2003) and I know that I'm almost out of washer fluid and don't want to run the pump dry. So, since Don Rosen Audi is not too far out of my way home from work, I stop by to take advantage of the "free" top-off fluid service. (It comes with the price of the car. Thus, not really free.) I pull into the drive along the service advisors desk area and leave my A4 running. I walk in and wait for one of the advisors (Gary, I found out later.) to get off the phone with a customer. The conversation went something like this:

Gary: Can I help you?

Me: I have a simple request. My washer fluid
light has been on for a few days and I don't want to run the pump dry. Would you mind filling it up?

Gary: What year is it?

Me: 2001

Gary: I don't think we have any. Parts is closed, but I see if we have some. (walks into the service bay area, gone for a few minutes. I see on his chair is a full bottle next to a purse. Some woman wearing a Porsche coat takes them and leaves. I assume she works there by the way she says goodbye to everyone. Ok, so maybe she bought, but I doubt it. I guess we're just giving it away. Anyway... Gary returns with a bottle that is 3/4 full and we walk out to my A4)

Gary: You know, you can use any washer fluid.

Me: I know, but this service comes with the car. (I pop the hood release. Gary opens the hood. I pop the reservoir cover. He puts the washer fluid in.) You're going to need more fluid than that to fill it. It's almost empty.

Gary: I'll see if I can find some more. (Gary walks into the service bay area via side door. It's cold out, so I walk back into the service desk area. A few minutes pass and another advisor comes up to me from the service bay area.)

Advisor #2: Are you being helped?

Me: Yes. Gary is getting washer fluid for me.

Ad #2: He said he couldn't find anymore. Parts is closed. (and he walks off and outside. So, I walk to the inside door that leads into the service bays and I can see on the shelves at each tech a bottle of washer fluid - some full, some used. Ad #2 comes back inside)

Me: I can see bottles of washer fluid with the techs. (pointing to the first bay) Why can't you use that?

Ad #2: Because that's for the car that the tech is working on. It's already been billed for that car.

Me: I can understand that, but I'm a customer too. I highly doubt that car will be done tonight and the customer will get it tonight.

Ad #2: I can't do that.

Me: Why? Are you telling me that every car in the service bays will be done in the next (I look at my watch and see it's 6:41 PM) 19 minutes and the owners are lining up outside to get them tonight. There has to be...

Ad #2: I can't do that.

Me: ...a car in service that won't be done tonight that the tech has fluid that he can replace with a new bottle tomorrow morning when Parts is open.

Ad #2: I can't do that. It's for the cars that they're working on.

Me: This is why I hate coming to this dealer. You have no idea how to keep customers, let alone happy when they are here. (I walked out and drove off with a half filled washer fluid reservoir.)

Sure, I know washer fluid is cheap, but topping off fluids is part of buying this car. It's this ridiculous logic of these advisors and laziness that makes me hate this dealer. I will continue to go to my usual dealer who would have been more than happy to do this for me. It just so happens that Don Rosen Audi is closer to my commute home.

Another problem I had with this dealer:
1) I had my '95 90 in for a diagnostic of a steering noise. Short version: they completed ~$500 worth of service that wasn't approved and expected me to pay for it. The service manager was a total a$$ to me and threatened me with lawyers and collection agencies before even finding out what happened or talking with me. End result: I was told that I didn't have to pay for it as long I never came back. He also said that if I didn't pay for it, he was going to take it out of the advisor's pay. I never did find out if he actually did.

I'm sure that others have been to this dealer without issues, but I've had other little issues over the years with Don Rosen Audi's service. I must admit that the actual service done by the techs has been great, except for when they put a headlight bulb in upsidedown and couldn't figure out why the light wasn't projecting correctly. All of the other issues have been with the performance of the advisors and service manager and how they handle situations.

I guess since my '95 90 issue, they must have my name and picture up in the advisor's break room.

You have been warned!

So that others find this post will searching: Don Rosen Audi service Philly Philadelphia Southeastern Pennsylvania PA area dealers horror stories bad poor failed advisor advisors
Old 01-31-2003, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm buying a Lexus as my next car. At least they treat you like a human being

All of the Lexus owners I know RAVE about the service...prompt, courteous, repectful....

The only good experience that I have ever had with an Audi service advisor was at Fairfield Audi.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:16 AM

Default what the hell???

How the hell did I wind up in the mid-atlantic forum? I swear I thought I was in B5 A4--

Weird
Old 01-31-2003, 07:22 AM

lol. this is where people in the PA area visit.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:25 AM

Default exactly

I was almost certain I was in A4...and even if I wasn't, how did I wind up in mid-atlantic? Crazy I tell ya.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Default Well, technically he's right....

Once the fluid has been taken out of the parts department, it's very complicated to give it to someone else.

That doesn't excuse them, but it explains why they didn't want to do it.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ahhh, this explains the sudden eating binge today :-)
Old 02-10-2003, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Yup, dealers run tight inventory control.

Usually, at least.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:59 PM

Default I understand that and agree. However, they could have claimed that bottle to me and got another

one in the morning for the other car when Parts was open.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Default Inventory control doesn't work that way.

They played by the rules. I agree the rules are stupid (and you should complain to the service manager when you get a chance) but rules are rules.

I check out something from parts (inventory) it now belongs to me. If I give it to you, it might be impossible for me to record that in inventory.

Stupid stuff.