Are any of the Ohio dealerships any good? Had bad expereinces with both in Columbus

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are any of the Ohio dealerships any good? Had bad expereinces with both in Columbus

I was recently car shopping and gave the Audi salesperson I have dealt with in the past a call. We talked about the A4 and A3 for a while and he suggested that I go to a local dealership to test drive them. He also gave me a quote based on the options I would pick.

I went to a local Audi dealership. Initially, the sales person was pretty good. He told me about Audi's in general and showed me somethings on the cars (nothing that I didn't already know). I got into a car in the showroom and looked around. Shortly after that, he said that he had something that he needed to take care of. So I sit in the car to see what is new inside the A4 (I had an S4 a few years ago). After I feel comfortable with everything, I read the brochure. Then I look around for the salesperson and he is nowhere to be seen. So I walk around the showroom for 20-30 minutes. I then go outside to look at the cars in the lot for 15-20 minutes. I return to the showroom and he still isn't anywhere to be seen. So I call the other Audi dealership in town, explain my experience so far at this dealership, and ask if they have a salesperson available that will actually let me test drive a car. As I finish the phone call, the sales person walks by and say that he will be with me in a minute and he walks outside. I finish my phone call and walk by him. He asks if there is anything he can help me with and I say "no" as I walk to my car.

So I drive about 20 miles to the other local dealership. The sales person there was great. We talked about the cars and went on a test drive. He even walked me through some of features inside the car now that it was turned on. He gave me a reasonable quote and I told him that I would get back to him. So far, so good, right? It would have been a great car buying experience, but I call the salesperson in Detroit.

I talk about my experience and give him the quote. The quotes are very close. At this point, I am looking at the monthly lease payment and the figure he gives me tells me that he went down about $500. I was about to order the car from him, but I decided to see what the local dealership would do for me. He was willing to go down another $50. Considering that the local dealership charges more in fees, he was still higher. So I tell him that I am going to order from the dealer in Detroit. I then tell him that appreciate the assistance he gave me and that if I know anyone interested in buying an Audi locally, I would refer them to him. He apparently didn't care as he said something (I don't remember and I don't think it is relevant) and hung up. The way he finished up was unprofessional and I will not recommend him now.

Is this typical of the 2 Audi dealerships in Columbus? What about the other Audi dealerships in Ohio? I probably won't go to the other Audi dealerships in Ohio as Detroit isn't that much farther than Cleveland and Cincinnati. Plus, I have family and friends in Detroit. It would have been nice if I could have gotten a good relationship with a local dealership, but it looks like that is not going to happen. I just stick with the Detroit area dealership for my future car purchases.

Sorry if this came off as a rant. Just curious if my experience is typical in Columbus.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Bought mine at Fred Baker here in Cleveland...

...and the experience was actually pretty good. Treated well, I think I got a fair price, no dealer shenanigans while negotiating, car was fixed and prepped beautifully when I picked it up (they did body work & paint over the Xmas weekend). I wasn't a fan of Fred in the past, but I was very pleased with the experience. I have a small issue with a door latch that won't stay closed when it's below freezing, so I'll find out how their warranty service is shortly.

Also, free hand car washes on Saturday if you just stop in.

So far, a very good experience with Fred Baker. I have no relation to them, just a customer.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He lost a sale because of $50.He spent the time with you and return you tell him..

for $50 dollars your going to drive to Detroit and get the car.I don't blame him
Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Elder Member

Default I told him he needed to come down more

The fees they charge are more than the dealership in Detroit. So him coming down $50 on price from the Detroit dealership wasn't going to do it. The drive to Detroit for the car isn't an issue since most of my family lives there. I told him both that he needed to come down more and that I didn't mind the drive to Detroit. He didn't offer anything.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Out of the 2 dealers in Cinci I prefer theAudi Connection.I bought mine in Michigan so no sales ..

Experience with them
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've purchased 2 Audis from Fred Baker

Their sales staff was always attentive and helpful to customers. Their service department is also very good. Only thing to consider is that they've recently undergone a lot of changes with people there (sales and service). Still continue to be good, but don't know if there was anything going on behind closed doors.

I've also heard great comments from people about Stoddard. I think you just got unlucky with a single sales person from each dealership.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default +1 on Stoddard, too. My wife's TT came from there, and always first-rate service.

I know one of the new owners @ Stoddard and would have purchased my allroad there if they'd had a comparable one. They tried to get the one I bought from Fred, but he couldn't sell it to them at a price that would make the deal feasible, so I bought it direct from Fred. The experience was very pleasant, and I'll probably continue to use Fred just because it's so close to my office and they sold the car. The TT will probably continue to go to Stoddard becasue they know the car there.

Both dealers have given me very good service. I'm surprised by your experience--usually high-end dealers have a different set of rules for their salespeople than the local Ford store. People who can afford $50,000 cars don't have much patience with A-holes.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I bought my S5 through Beechmont. No complaints with sales experience...

I can't speak for service though. I live in Indy and will get that done here. I thought the salesman I worked with was great. They sold me the car at MSRP (no market adjustment price added) and threw in Audicare, even shipped the car to Indy on a flatbed for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I know 2 sales people at Byers. This is out of character for them. MAG sucks, no surprise.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Elder Member

Default No surprise with MAG even if it was my first time there. Byers was good

until I informed the salesperson I was going with the dealer in Detroit. He was very professional through the whole process. The way he hung up tells me that he didn't really care if I was willing to direct potential buyers to him. I think that is pretty bad since I thought he did a good enough job that I would tell others to ask for him. Otherwise, it was an enjoyable experience with Byers.

Quick Reply: Are any of the Ohio dealerships any good? Had bad expereinces with both in Columbus