12v Engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2000, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v Engine

Any experience with the engine in Audi 90's leaking oil at the head gasket? I have made offers on two 1993's with 80-90k on them & have had prepurchase inspections on them both that turned up head gasket leaks. Shops want about $1,500 to replace the gaskets. What's the risk in purchasing the car anyway, and not replacing the gasket, besides oil leaking out. I think I have a good deal going $7,700 for a 93 90CS, 80k, that's had a new timing belt & water pump.
Old 11-01-2000, 05:16 PM

Default Not aware of head gasket problems, but valve cover...

...gasket leaks are quite common. Valve cover gasket job would not cost that much though. Maybe it was the valave cover, but they wanted you to think it was the head gasket? Regardless, a little oil leaking out to the outside probably wouldn't hurt anything, but if it's leaking internally, then water and oil can mix and that is bad for the engine and the cooling system, as oil doesn't sork well with coolant in it, nor does coolant with oil in it. Also, if the gasket is blown, then there is the possibility that the engine has over heated at some point, so there could be head warpage, which would reult in even higher repair costs.

Two things:

If you are told that every car you take in has a bad head gasket, be suspicious.

If suspicious, try another shop.
Old 11-01-2000, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Not aware of head gasket problems, but valve cover...

FYI, two different cars 100CS & 90CS, same engine 2.6 12v, two different shops that work on Audis did the inspections. Same problem, external oil leaks at the head gasket that pools up on the manifold. So, if I'm OK with oil leaking on a seven year old car, it would be fine to drive the car with out replacing the head gasket? Thanks Chuck
Old 11-01-2000, 06:25 PM

Default Wait a minute! If the head gasket were leaking, it would not...

...pool up on the manifold, as the manifold is above the head gasket. Oil pooling up on the manifold is the result of a leaking valve cover gasket. I'm almost positive that is what the problem was and there is no way it would cost that much to replace the valve cover gaskets. As for risks associated with leaking oil, the biggest problem is that it burns on the manifold and so you will have to smell it (ick!) and you may get some smoke coming out from under the hood, depending on how much oil there is.

I think it is very unlikely that you just happened to find two cars that both had leaking head gaskets. Without seeing them, it's hard to say for sure, but it doesn't seem like everything adds up here. Good luck!
Old 11-02-2000, 09:32 AM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default YES, this is common problem on the earlier (1992 till 1995) 2.8 V6. It is the cyl head gaskets, more

I have replaced them twice under Audi warrentee on my 1993 90S. The oil pools in the V valley between the heads, below the intake manifold, and slowly drips down the back side of the engine. Audi has revised the gaskets numerous times, but no luck with a permanent fix on these early V6s. I just live with it now, checking and adding oil. I bet 99% of all early V6s leak here. There are other common oil leak areas on the V6 : The "valley pan" gasket (underneath the intake manifold), and the "oil pump plugs" in the front of the engine, behind the plastic cam belt cover, above the crankshaft.

Another common problem to check out, on higher mileage V6s is a clogged EGR passage in the intake manifold. You will get a check engine light on this. It is not typically a defective EGR valve ($300), or "EGR Vac Reg valve" ($200).
Old 11-02-2000, 06:24 PM

Default Re: May I suggest an alternative

For that kind of money you could get a really nice late '80's 5000 Turbo Quattro or 200. The 5 cylinder is one of the best engines ever, along with the turbo you will have performance potential if you so desire. They also offer more space and size than a 90...a *lot* of car for the money.
Old 11-03-2000, 02:04 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fix for this "common" problem!

In Germany, Audi has a "factory" fix for the
"weeping headgasket" problem.

Its also something that has carried over from other Audi models(different engines) to cure a
common problem.

Here it is!

We all know Audi uses "stretch-bolts" to secure down their heads. The bolts in particular, on the
93-95 V6's are of a special build. Take a look at one and you will see what I mean! The problem
comes in when the bolts are originally torqued down at the factory, and later on down the road after several years, manage to loosen up! I have found these bolts, while removing a head for a head gasket, to have loosened up all on their own!

Cure:

I installed a set of "RaceWare" head studs!
These baby's DO NOT STRETCH! Head gasket problems
become a thing of the past!

In Germany, Audi has a part number for the "kit"
as a "fix" for head gasket problems on certain turbo motors!

I have installed these studs in my 86 Coupe motor, and my 93 90's. Head gasket leaks no longer a problem for me!

Audi went form an 11mm head bolt to a 12mm on most
of their engines, but for some reason, the V6 OEM bolts are 10mm and do stretch more than any other
Audi head bolt out there! The bolts are constructed "fair", but unreliable, and vary widely in their stretching while torquing!
We have bench tested many and found a wide varity
of stretch for very specific torque values.

If you want your head gaskets to quit leaking,
get a set of good aftermarket head bolts/studs.

Sure they cost a little more, but are you not worth it?
Old 11-03-2000, 07:34 AM

Do you have any pics or links in regards to this problem?
Old 11-03-2000, 06:07 PM

Default Re: 12v Engine

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll go out & try to buy the 90cs tomarrow. Here's the link to raceware http://raceware-fasteners.com/. By the way Chuck, the leaks are pooling down low on the exhaust manifold, not the intake manifold. I've driven Mazda's & Toyota's all my life. So I'm not use to all of this high manteince stuff. But, after test driving a few Audi's I figured out how fun driving can be, even on 5-7 year old cars. Hopefully I won't be on this web site every other day asking for help on how to get my Audi to work, so I can be out driving!
Old 11-07-2000, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Fix for this "common" problem!

Dear MIKTIP,
I am buying a 1995 Sport 90 Quattro.
Where can I find the "RaceWare" studs?
Phone number?
Web site?
Thanks.
Roger A. Ellis

Quick Reply: 12v Engine