12v V6 Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2001, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12v V6 Throttle Body

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded their throttle body, and if so what are your feelings about it. Good performance enhancement? Worth the money?
Old 05-15-2001, 08:02 PM

Default definitely, much better response

it is faster, especially off the line, and if you install it yourself its even better!
Old 05-16-2001, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 12v V6 Throttle Body

What I noticed, it gave me improved "off the line" performance.

Of course this is coupled with a cone filter setup, factory airbox removed.

Is it worth $300? For me, No!

I ported my own TB and saved the $300+.

Would I recommend it? Yes, especially if you had the cone filter setup, factory airbox removed!
Old 05-16-2001, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 12v V6 Throttle Body + MAF Mod?

The enlarged throttle body mod gives you an additional amount of torque but very little bhp, really only noticed on the initial opening of the throttle. An easy mod for those with access to the correct tools and time but worth the $$$ - nope, not in my opinion.
Now what I was impressed with was the MAF housing modification, there's a lot of material that can be removed below the sampling tube and does not require precision tools.

I performed this mod one evening and was I impressed with the result? - yes I was.

I always thought my car (12V 2.8V6) lacked top end power and seemed to struggle reaching 60mph in 2nd {manual } but now the engine's got a new lease of life, obviously the ECU plays its part in suppling more fuel to compensate for a greater influx of air into the intake.

I cannot be sure if such a marked turn around in livliness can be obtained from moding just the MAF housing but my other mods - polished heads, performace exhaust system along with throttle body mod may have "finally" all pulled together and produced a nice torquey engine, a worthy competitor to the 30V 2.8.

Simon.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:39 AM

Default Easy to mod MAF housing?

With the Bently manual, is this fairly straightforward? Could I use my Dremel? Is the excess material easily identifiable? And, are you certain that removing the "excess" material does not impair the structural integrity of the MAF housing itself? Finally, with the increased fuel the ECU provides to match the increased airflow, have you noticed a decline in MPG? I have what I believe is the same setup as you: a '95 A6Q, 12V 2.8L, 5sp.
Thanks!
Old 05-16-2001, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Easy to mod MAF housing?

Quite easy really, got a hacksaw and dremel? The MAF unbolts from the air filter housing (4 screws and detaches from the air hose by one screw clip.

see URL below for good instructions, I didn't enlarge the sample tube though.

As for mpg it will suffer as you are basically asking the engine to supply more fuel than usual at the same rpm, more air in = more fuel in.

Si.<ul><li><a href="http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/maf/maf.htm">MAF modification instructions</a></li></ul>
Old 05-16-2001, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got a 30v TB I am going to sell....

was going to install it on my '00 A4, but couldn't figure a way to make it work with DBW, so I guess I will have to sell it and stick with the stock TB for now.

Not sure if that will give you any benefits, but it may be bigger than the 12v one, and I plan on selling it cheaper than the 12v TB mod.
Old 05-16-2001, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Where were you last week?

When I was getting beat up over the MAF post I placed on AudiWorld!

I was looking for someone who may have performed the exact mod you describe!

Tell me more about the mod! Drivability near idle? Not running too lean?
Old 05-16-2001, 05:53 PM

Default Re: 12v V6 Throttle Body + MAF Mod?

does anyone have any directions in how to complete such a Mod on the throttle body and MAS? do i need a machine shop? Which is easier to do and would show better results??? BMWSLYR
Old 05-17-2001, 12:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Where were you last week?

In the pioneering spirit of things I decided to bite the bullet and modify my MAF housing, in the U.K. it's been popular with the old Rover 3.5 V8 and VW VR6 owners.
Initially I did have a problem on the first run in that the car would not accelerate beyond 4000 rpm. The reason being that I had decided to leave the rear cover plate on the rear of the sampling tube. Once removed the engine functioned as normal.
I am currently thinking of opening up the sampling tube diameter, possibly to the same ratio that the main chamber was enlarged to But the car runs okay so I'am a little hesitant to do it.

How does the car run?

Well, idle is uneffected. Pickup from the engine is a lot better and I can pull up to 60mph and beyond in 2nd [manual ], a thing that was a struggle previously but now something of a pleasure as the engine is now getting the air intake that it needed at higher rpm. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on an air/fuel ratio gauge to see if the car is running leaner but I don't see any of the signs so far apart from the rare odd "hiccup" from the exhaust at low rpm.

Not bad for free and an evenings work too!
Sorry I missed your posts Miktip, but the proof is out now!

Si.

Quick Reply: 12v V6 Throttle Body