95 90 CV Joint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 90 CV Joint?

95 90 Sport's outer right CV Boot developed a split in the fold, which allowed dirt and dust to accumulate within the joint. Consequently, the right CV joint began to "CLACK" (before I even knew that the boot had split). I took it into a local European Auto Repair shop. They called me the next day to let me know that they had finished "rebuilding" the axle. After I picked the car up, I noticed that there was a hard pull on the right front, so I went and got an alignment and the problem was fixed. The car drove beautifully--for about 3 weeks.

I say that because I began to notice a slight "CLACK" again in hard right turns that was progressively worsening. I immediately thought that the "rebuilt" right axle was the source, so I took the car back to the repair shop and drove with the manager in the car and replicated the problem. He said that it was not the CV joint, because the clacking only happens when I torque the engine AND make a hard right (75 deg + turn). He concluded that if it was the CV joint, the right end would "CLACK" even in small turns with or without any engine input. He also noted that the CLACK was slow and inconsistent, where a CV CLACK is rapid sounding and synchronized with the movement of the car. However, after much persistence, he begrudgingly re-built the axle AGAIN under warranty.

I just got the car back, and sure enough, the CLACK is still there on **hard** right turns (it has to be almost a 90 degree turn) when I accelerate (torque the engine.)

The guy says that I need to replace the bearings. I am not so sure that we are not on a fishing expedition now (especially since it's now been rebuilt twice.)

Anybody else have any experience with this? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 05-10-2001, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack up the front wheels and rotate through the whole range of motion

You will feel looseness in the bearing and joint. I find that bearing noise (whup/whup/whup/screech) is a lot more consistant than CV noise (clack/click) in this car. Check the rear bearings as well. The torque could move the ball joints out, then loads the bearings/cv's.

The option B is to drive it until it makes more noise and get loose enough to feel readily. Not too unsafe.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 90 CV Joint?

If your CV clacks in hard left or right turns, its not per say "bad". Worn, yes, but not to the point it would "need" replacement. I drove my old Audi 5000T with clacking in hard turns CV's over 8 years, with the CV's making that noise. Both left & right! They would "need" replacement when they clack in slight turns, or straight line driving! This is especially true of "rebuilt" CV's because they often just put in new larger ball bearings, and leave the worn cage and race. You may have a CV that was not rebuilt at all? Only "claimed" to have been rebuilt?

My rec, get a new one from places other than an Audi dealership, like TPC(www.thepartsconnection.com)
and your problems will be solved, for at least another 6 years! Also, CV boots often go bad in pairs! Meaning your one side went, your other side is probably bad too! Catch it before it requires another CV!
Old 05-10-2001, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 90 CV Joint?

Your mechanic is dead wrong on the torque statement!! It's the opposite...they may only make noise when you APPLY torque but not the other way around!! BTDT. They also tend to make noise in smaller turns as they get worse. If the CV is just now on it's way out then you would only notice it in sharp corners....it's a check I always do when I buy a car!!

You may want to find another mechanic...my $.02!!
---
Andrew
90 80q
91 90
95 90q
Old 05-10-2001, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rebuilt the joint?

Get a brand new joint. Rebuilt joints just aren't that good